Thread: Changing the pulley...???

Junior SCH Member

Changing the pulley...???

I have a P1SC that I'm going to change to a 12# pulley. What do I need to get the other pulley off with, and do I need anything special to put the new pulley on with? My engine is from a 1999 Mustang GT 2V.

By the way....my best time was a 12.52 @ 112.98. Was this good for 8 psi....??

Junior SCH Member
    Anyone..???? Some help please.

Junior SCH Member
    I used an impact wrench. My pulley was held on by a single hex bolt, not sure if yours is the same.
    99 Cobra vert
    P-1sc @ 8#, Pro-M Univer, WMS velocity tube,42#, MAC H and cat back
    Eibach pros, Bilstein HDs, KB cc plates, strut tower brace, shock tower brace, Steeda subframe conn
    393 rwhp on crappy CA gas

Junior SCH Member
    Yea there seems to only be the hex bolt and keyway. Did you use heat or anything to pry it off.Also did you use the impact gun or threadlock or do you torque down the pulley to put it back on???

SCH Member
    dear Blown 96:
    Just be careful not to strike the shaft to hard with the hammer, the best way to pull off the pulley is to use a pulley plate extractor, and better when the supercharger is not hot.
    If you go to 12 psi you must retard your ignition time at full boost, just about 4 to 5 degrees.
    Keep it safe and enjoy the boost.
    I hope this helps.
    take care.
    pablo

SCH Member
    Blown 96.;
    I forgot, use locktite 271 to the bolt of the pulley to put it back, just a small drop, and tight it until the pulley starts to rotate the engine with the belt on.
    Take care.
    pablo

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Blown_96_4.6
    Yea there seems to only be the hex bolt and keyway. Did you use heat or anything to pry it off.Also did you use the impact gun or threadlock or do you torque down the pulley to put it back on???
    I had the unit off the engine when I did this. I used threadlock when I put it back on.
    99 Cobra vert
    P-1sc @ 8#, Pro-M Univer, WMS velocity tube,42#, MAC H and cat back
    Eibach pros, Bilstein HDs, KB cc plates, strut tower brace, shock tower brace, Steeda subframe conn
    393 rwhp on crappy CA gas

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks. yes I'll be taking the head unit off when I do this. I have a pulley puller from when I used to have underdrive pulleys, will this work out o.k.?

That's the way to do it. You might want to check with ATI on the torque spec on that hex bolt to get it back in there right, that's something that I would consider a pretty big deal. Let us know how it went and what you ended up doing.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Are the pullies on reverse direction? ie - clock-wise to loosen, counter to tighten?? heard this somewhere..... I am buying a P-1SC unit and want to change the stock pulley as well - it comes with an 8#, is this correct? I am looking to buy a 12# - thanks - stevet
    1998 S/C'ed cobra coupe - laser red and somewhere in the great state of Tejas.....442rwhp/410rwtq dyno tuned

Junior SCH Member
    Haven't done the swap yet, but I'll post it here when I do.

Junior SCH Member
    Make sure you DO NOT pull it off after you've been running it a while. I was talking to an ATI customer service guy and he said if you pull the head unit off while it's hot and lay it on it's side it will **** up the seal. I guess b/c of the hot oil? That's what he told me in our chat. He said if you take it off while the unit is still hot that you should keep it in the same position as it was in the car. Just a word of warning I got.

-Rob

wilecoyote, Have you spoken with ATI yet in regards to what you need to do in order to get 12lbs. of boost on your car? There is no standard size pulley that comes on the head units... it all depends on the kit and on your application. The boost is directly related to your motor's combo, engine RPM, and blower pulley size. What kind of boost are you seeing, and at what RPM? What other engine work is done to your car? These are all important things that we (or ATI) need to know in order to help you find or what size pulley you need on your head unit.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Ahhhh ......ok, thanks for the help - stevet
    1998 S/C'ed cobra coupe - laser red and somewhere in the great state of Tejas.....442rwhp/410rwtq dyno tuned

No problem... I spoke with ATI about the size pullies on my car (crank and blower) and they told me I would see about 12lbs or so at my shift point with the work that I have done to my car, give or take 1. They were dead on. They would probibly be your best bet in terms of asking what to get for what you want to do. Let us know how it goes!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST