Thread: Unknown Problem

Junior SCH Member

Unknown Problem

Hey guys wanting to know if anyone has had a problem like this before?I bought a 91 mustang coupe Friday the car looks good and has 100,000 miles on it . As I was going home I was messing with a Honda Civic a little and the coupe just died on me, I had to pull over on the shoulder and restart it (automatic) then I got on it pulling out and it died again. I babied it home and it done fine. The guy I bought it from had problems with the battery going down on the car but he was blaming it on the under drive pulleys. Car drove great the time I tested it. I think it is a small problem maybe a sensor or somthing I hope.The car only has a cold air kit and nothing more even stock mufflers. thanks for any help

I'd put money on it that the problem is the fuel pump.

Did it only do it after driving for a while?? Were the symptoms similiar to "vapor-lock" that carb'd cars were imfamous for in the past? If so, I can almost assure you that the fuel pump is the culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    I drove it for about 20 miles and it did it then, also I changed the battery the day before and tried to start it after and the first two times it would just turn over good but would not start. The third time it started fine. My buddy thinks it may be the idle air valve is what i think he said but maybe the fuel pump. It was acting like it wasnt getting fuel.We are going to do a complete tune up and get his code reader and check the codes, for some reason it will show the check engine light also the low coolant.

low coolant lights are normal on stangs. I would just take the damn sensor out. I'm with sean, it sounds like something fuel related. You may try a new filter before you do the pump. I've found the most commone check engine light thing to be either emissions components, or 02's.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Will be doing the tune up this week I hope it works out well

Junior SCH Member
    when it dosent run Spray carb clean in the intake if it runs could be fuel pump or fp relay. If spraying carb clean dosent work- check for spark , if there is none you most likely need a TFI ign module. Just a couple guesses. Probly NOT a Iac motor though.

Junior SCH Member
    .A tune up most likely wont help either.
    Tune ups are not a fix- They are regular maint.

Junior SCH Member
    fixed problem. battery cable was the issue. was not making good contact and battery was moving around a little causing it to loose contact. thanks guys for the input

Man that is some funny Sh*t, good thing you didn't listen to us, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

LOL! it's always something simple
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Always check the basics first!