Thread: Go or Blow time

Go or Blow time

Well its coming to the end of the year here soon so I have decided that its go or blow time.

I am getting a pail of race gas and Im gunna see what the little 1K will get me.

I did a best of 12.0 at 116.7 in 30* heat so I am hoping to kill that time and mph with a good launch and a ton of timing in this nice 18-20* weather.

Hopefully Ian will bring his car up to and we can line them up and see what that Procharger has!!!

Anyway how much timing do you guys think I can run with 114 octane.

I was thinking like 27 or 28 total.

I am setting the base that high and pulling the spout out and turning the BTM knob to zero.

Let me know what you think.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Chuck, what do you normally have the timing set at and BTM set at?

Doesn't the computer typically add ~16 degrees of timing? If so then with the base timing set at 11-12, you'd see the same amount of total timing that you are planning to run w the spout out. My thinking could be wrong, but with some 114 I think you could safely run a few more degrees than this.

pm Steve & get him to chime in here, I think he normally runs spout out at the track. I'd like some more input on this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Sean,

I run 15 intial BTM at 1

you are right the computer does add 16 from what the inial is set from. last nite I tried the car at 23 with the spout out still no detonation with pump gas so I might try a little more.

I cant tell by SOP if it was better or not, I cant hook the car on radials at all so Im slapping on the ET Streets and trying it.

I am goig to the track today to see what happens.

Might pick up a pail of the good stuff on the way!
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

I put the 8" in this week and see 9 lb's now in the middle of the day. Make sure you post what you can get away with chuck as I'm gonna set mine on kill also. See if you can spank that fancy shmancy smack talkin procharged car too!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    I want to put the slap on mine too, but the damn dual fric. centerforce decided to crap out on me and slip like hell. It's been a tough year......I think i am going C4......Anyone wanna buy a nice TR3550 with a scattershield and pr. 5.0 shifter?
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

Damn kannukians and their funky temps.;)

Neil Ph33r the C4.:)

I think I am saving for a Mighty Mite and TCT converter for next year.

I don't think I am going to put anymore money into my old tired 60s C4.

Chuck get your total timing in the high 20s and see what happens with No BTM.

Don't be scared to just pull the spout and set the timing at 26 to 28 and leave the spout out.

If the car will idle that way it may just suprise the hell out of you at the track.

As far as my 7.5" pulley, it has come back off the car. Car runs like dog poop with it. Out of fear of breaking something it will not go back on until next year when I can afford some more dyno time and fix it's boost tuning issues at 11+ psi.

This of course will be after the trans is squared away.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Steve

my buddy is selling a like new mighty mite, and 55k stall conv. i was thinking about it, but it could be outta my $ range. a local racer can build me a good c4, with a TCI converter for around 2k. Whatta ya think?
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe

Well I went and got 3 runs in.

I think my BTM is out of calibration cause with the intial set at 23 its slower. The highest trap I could get out of it today was 114.9.

It was a very good day for traction tho, I went 11.90 with a 1.62 60ft launching at 4K.

I didnt not pick up the race gas so I didnt try to go any higher with the timing.

I think the car will be safe at 28* total with the 114 octane.

Another reason the trap speed could have been slower is that I also raised the fuel pressure 5 psi a couple weeks ago. I have left it that way because it has better street manners with more fuel. I prob should have lowered it but I'll try that next week.

Originally posted by lx-convertible
    Steve

my buddy is selling a like new mighty mite, and 55k stall conv. i was thinking about it, but it could be outta my $ range. a local racer can build me a good c4, with a TCI converter for around 2k. Whatta ya think?

Neil you should be able to get a brand new Mighty mite for like 1450 if you look hard enough. The would leave you around 600 for a good converter.

I can get my 60s C4 done up to race spec for 950 with a top notch transbrake, billet servo and all the good friction materials for around a grand.

If it were me I would not spend 2k on a home brew and TCI. Seems steep to me.

Chuck not bad runs there. I know one thing is for sure though your car has a lot left in it.

I would say at least a half second and 5 MPH.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

Chuck, That is a smokin 60ft! I learn a ton everytime i go to the strip. A bunch of guys from the Corral have Norwalk Raceway rented on the 26th and i can't wait! 8 hours of wild changes to the car!

PA sells a comp c-4 for $1117 without a bell or converter....then they have the supercomp with teh brake/bell. I've seen renegade guys(bart tobener)run them with great success.
    http://www.performanceautomatic.com/

If i don't build my own i'll order from these guys.

Neil, I don't think i'd reccomend a tci converter and i doubt steve will either. The converter is everything.
    Btw steve I picked up a dynamic valve body and it does the trick!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Did ian make it?

Brent I would not run a TCI on a tranny of any value.

I currently use TCIs in the tranny I have now because it's a POS and it's also a 24 spline input. Good converter companys won't built 24 spline stuff.

I know PA makes good parts but I have called them before to ask questions and was awfully dissapointed in there service.

Dynamic has always been nice to me.:)

You should be able to get a new PA comp brakeless trans for 900 brent.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

900 would be cool! There supposed to be pretty tough. TCI does not do the job at our power level, period.
    I'll upgrade this winter for sure, cause pushing the front tires @ 1900 rpms is a joke. Theres a guy in prospect ohio that does trannys and custom builds his own converters and they are awesome. So i'll check into that. Now I just need a Powerstroke to tow it with....Steve has all the cool stuff!

Not yet, I am afriad...

Ian

i thought the mighty mites were more expensive than 1400? i talked to harold and he wanted 1k for a converter for me. plus flexplate, bellhousing, shifter and tranny it was like 3-35k.
    Neil

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe