Thread: 6 rib pulley question...

Senior SCH Member

6 rib pulley question...

Will the 6 rib pulley setup(blower pulley and crank pulley) that comes with the a-trim work with the s-trim?

I would imagine so (that it would work), however I was wondering if there would be any kind of issues (any what so ever)using a setup like that versus the 8 rib setup on an s-trim.

Thanks Guys,

Chris
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Senior SCH Member
    it sure will, same v-1 housing
    --
    93 GT

Senior SCH Member
    Awesome! I had a feeling it would. I figure though with the 8 rib setup should give you less belt slippage versus a 6 rib setup, right?

Thanks for the fast response!:D
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

Senior SCH Member
    actually i had less slip with a 6 rib but either way if you get that goodyear gatorback belt you shouldn't have any slip issues.
    --
    93 GT

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by MoDo
    actually i had less slip with a 6 rib but either way if you get that goodyear gatorback belt you shouldn't have any slip issues.
    Awesome! I am actually running a Goodyear Gatorback belt on my Novi-1000 stang, and I would only use a gatorback on any other application I owned that was supercharged! FOR SURE! That is one solid belt! I prefer and like it over the Gates, and Springfield belt line.

Thanks MoDo!,

Chris:)
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

Did you guys also know that Goodyear belts have a lifetime warranty on them? If you snap it then just return it for an exchange.:D

Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719
    MODS: Vortech S-Trim, Aftercooler, Mini Race Bypass Valve, AFM Power Pipe, 90m.m. LMAF, 42# Injectors, Superchips Chip, 03 Cobra Fuel Pump, Trunk Mount Battery, Auto Meter Gauges, Solid Axle Swap, 4:10 Gears, O/R H-Pipe, Mac Cat-Back, Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Mac Subframe Connectors, D/S Safety Loop, McLeod Clutch, Steeda Sport Springs, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Eaton Posi, Granatelli Upper & Lower Control Arms, AFS 2003 Chrome Cobra Wheels (17x9, 17x10.5), 315/35/17 Nitto DR's.
    Dyno: 496 RWHP. & 422 RWT. (SAE Corrected)
    MY WEBSITE: Click Here
    ww.ModularFords.com -4V Forum Moderator

Senior SCH Member
    Dang! I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

I will remember that (/me crosses his fingers that I won't need to use it anytime soon... :D )
    -Chris

Goliath

No Name Yet...

Junior SCH Member
    I thought you need the 8 rib when you start pushing higher boost with the S. My came with the 8 so I have never used the 6 rib. I would think you should be fine. Just watch the gauge for top end slip. The gauge should jump around if slipping. Or just level out and quite climbing before the rpms do.

Can you datalog you run? I found that is the best way to study the info.................

good luck :D
    slow white

S-trim/cobra/6037's/AOD/ 3260lbs

10.74@128................... Street car!

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah they all interchange but i actually had less slippage running a 6 rib too , i liked it better cause i found a good deal on a crank pulley that was larger so i tried it im half tempted to put it back on again>>>>
    LX stang Vortech, C4, A/C, etc...

Junior SCH Member
    I have a A-trim and when I got it, it had a 6 rib on it. Every time i saw about 8-10 psi (believe it or not) the belt would try to walk off the front of the pulley. I put a 8 rib on and haven't had any problems.

Junior SCH Member
    Traditionally, an 8-rib setup will be less likely to have the occurance of belt slippage because of the obvious increased belt contact. However, many people have no problems running the 6-rib after upgrading to an S-Trim from an A-Trim. Proper belt tension has a lot to do with the success of this. Of course, this is assuming that someone is not running a considerably smaller supercharger drive pulley. In that case, the 8-rib tends to be more advantageous. Vortech does offer pulley packs in different crank/supercharger pulley configurations to convert from 6-rib to 8-rib, as most of you are already aware. Most of which are in the low to mid $200.00 range.
    RACER X

Sales Rep. for Vortech Superchargers

Daily driver: '02 SVT Focus
    Weekend cruiser: 347c.i. powered 1993 Mustang GT (As seen in 2002 issue of MM&FF's Sexy Stangs)

My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes...