Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 302 to 351 is the swap worth it?

Originally posted by fanglemeister
    The 351W is much stronger than the 5.0 but as usual there is no free lunch.

While on topic of crank, the 351 has larger diameter main bearings, which don't do as well at high rpms, if you are planning on building a motor that will be spun up above 6500 rpm plan on spending some time massaging the crank and bearings and oiling system to make them live.

Next is bulk, the 351 is a much heavier and wider lump than a 302. The 351 is stronger but at the price of bulk. You can get as much strength out of a Sportsman 302 block - i.e. fully capable of handling 650-700 hp.

I shift my 418 at 7700rpm . The price difference between stroker kits for 302 based motors and 351 based are not very different. The strength difference between a B50 block and a stock early model 351 is tremendous. The B50 blocks break in the lifter valley the same as the stock blocks do.

If you put a plan together before you start your build up. The out of pocket expenses for a stroker 351 will be very close to the same price as a 302 build up. If you are upgrading your stock 302 into a high horsepower combo, you are going to change the headers, intake, fuel system, etc... anyways. So do yourself a favor and remember the old saying. "there is no replacement for displacement".

Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

amen douglas! Thats what I've been thinking.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Any way to make your hood look stock with a 351?

Originally posted by bileaux
    Any way to make your hood look stock with a 351?
    Novi357 has a 408, Novi2K, EFI spyder combo underneath the stock hood on his car. If you use the 1" drop solid mounts and cut some of the bracing from under the hood. It will fit.

Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Depending on what my next car comes with, I'll probably try to get it to fit under the stock hood.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe