Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How often do you change headgaskets if everything's ok?

Thread: How often do you change headgaskets if everything's ok?

Junior SCH Member

How often do you change headgaskets if everything's ok?

I seem to recall seeing that some of the YS big dogs changed their headgaskets after 20 passes or so.

My car still runs well and has good compression, but I've noticed a trend in my compression numbers... they go down every time I test the motor.

I tend to test it every 6 months or so... 6 months ago they were between 155-165 psi. This time they were between 135-142 psi.

Is this a sign of the head gasket seal slowly going south?

Thanks!

Junior SCH Member
    FWIW I use Felpro 9333 PT-1 head gaskets... my cylinder heads are oringed.

Senior SCH Member
    Andrew,
    I try to change mine every 20-25 runs(9333, o ringed head), this seems to be what most of the headsup class racers that run these gaskets do. I have about 30 on this set, its TIME.....hehe. last pass I saw 29psi with the X trim, all is well.......you will find that they fatigue, they dont really melt unless you have a mechanical problem, just fatigue and will give out. JMO.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    Interesting. It looks like I'm about 70 passes overdue in changing mine... I wonder how much I would pick up if I did?

Senior SCH Member
    well in columbus 2 years ago, the best the car ran was like 10.1 and a 10.20, on the next pass it blew the gasket(no change in tuneup), I changed the gaskets and changed nothing and it ran a pair of 9.90s. could have been a number of things, but it did go faster.....hehe.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the info, Spence!