Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go to a T-trim?

Junior SCH Member

Go to a T-trim?

We've had pretty good results with a standard S-trim with our old setup, basically a stock bottom end 302 with SVO heads, Cobra intake, Lunati "E303" cam and an Art Carr race AOD. Best run was a 10.80 @ 128 on DOT Hoosiers.

This year we are running a CHP 342 stroker in a Sportsman 302 block, 8.5:1 compression with a ringed deck, out of the box TW heads, the big Lunati EFI cam (X303 specs) and an AFM Typhoon RPM intake.

The S-trim is not going to be able to get enough air in this beast. I don't have the $$$ for a completely new YS setup, so...

What larger head unit will fit in the standard S-trim brackets - T, J, R?

Thanks for putting up a site dedicated to Vortech users.

Mitch

Mitch: You are very welcome! Please pass the word, the more users the better.

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    yes it should fit if you are using the heavy duty v-1... the "t-trim" is the same housing. a friend of mine swapped out his s-trim for a old school "j-trim".
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member

No heavy duty here

That's why I can't upgrade the S-trim :( I'm thinking I can pick up a used head unit somewhere as long everything else is the same. I have a Renegade discharge tube with a big ol' mondo bypass just waiting for some serious boost :D

Senior SCH Member
    MoDo what are the variences in the bracketry for the HD version of the s-trim versus non-hd? I am curious to know because everyone that I know that is a Vortech-Head says you can put a t-trim head on s-trim brackets non-hd or hd...?

Then again when I talk to other vortech budz locally here they usually have a 6 pack accompanying them LOL! :D

Thanks MoDo!
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Senior SCH Member
    yes you are correct on the brakets, i thought you wanted to actually swap impellers but you can only do that with the hd unit
    --
    93 GT

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by MoDo
    yes you are correct on the brakets, i thought you wanted to actually swap impellers but you can only do that with the hd unit
    I see! Thats right.. {brain fart} LoL!
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

SCH Member
    Is it just me that has problems slipping blower belts,I get that thing tight but it still sometimes squeals and I lose boost. Where can I get blower braces because the brackets flex.
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

SCH Member
    It is a NAPA belt maybe that is the problem? By the way,I bought the blower used and it was an A trim kit that was upgraded. Does that mean the brackets are weaker?
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by blownaway
    Is it just me that has problems slipping blower belts,I get that thing tight but it still sometimes squeals and I lose boost. Where can I get blower braces because the brackets flex.
    i used to have the same problem with squeal then a sudden boost drop... i had the belt tight and it didnt help. i coated the belt with some track bite until i got the gatorback belt from summit (22 bucks)... problem solved :D
    --
    93 GT

SCH Member
    How do you like the PMS, Did you set it up? Did you have to figure out belt length or do they have applications?

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by blownaway
    How do you like the PMS, Did you set it up? Did you have to figure out belt length or do they have applications?
    my pms is not installed as of right now, currently im using the stock computer and only using a diablo chip to remove the factory rev limiter. i know 3 people that use the pms and love it... they insisted i get it. i should have it in within the next few weeks.

my belt length is 54.5 for the 3.33" / 6.87" if you have a current dayco / gates belt summit can cross reference it for you and tell you the length needed.
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member

Thanks ->

I'll do some more research on the T and J trims to see what hp levels they are supposed to support and max impeller speeds.

Like your avatar Blowaway! I was born in DC but my folks moved to Vienna Va shortly thereafter.

I have had good luck with the Gates belts I get from Advanced Auto Parts because they always seem to have the 8-rib size I need for my setup in stock. I don't know about you guys, but I used to just cinch down the tensioner pulley bolts and then whack at it with a 2X4 and a sledgehammer to get it really tight. I tried my 1/2" breaker bar with a 2" extension this past week, using the 1/2" slot in the tensioner bracket that was actually designed for tightening purposes and got better results.

I'm gonna miss that 2X4...

Senior SCH Member
    yeah i was always nervous about putting that much tension on the front main bearing. with the goodyear belt i honeslty just pushed down on the tensioner with my hand and tightened the bolts.
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member

Gatorback belts

Are they available in 8 rib? I change mine at least 2-3 times during racing season to keep them fresh, which gets costly.