Thread: 2 questions from a Newbie.

Junior SCH Member

2 questions from a Newbie.

Gentlemen,

Am I GLAD to have found this site!

I'm new to this forum and now a Vette man (but an old FORD guy from the 60s-70s, owned a Cobra Jet, etc.)

My first question is:

I just bought a Novi 2000 w/o an impeller.

Looks unused (test?), no scars, scratches, still has crayon marking inside casing and gears look good. Am sending back to Paxton in Oxnard for an impeller w. total rebuild / checkup.

What should that cost if everything is OK and "all it needs" is an impeller.?

Second how can I get the right mounting brackets, etc for this awesome blower?

Other than Kenny Duttweilers 1000HP SBC some years back, I've never seen Chevy with a Novi 2000.

I have to figure out how to get this big blower into an 80s C4 Corvette, but all the Vettes run other blowers, so there is no SBC advice anywhere...

I'm just amazed at the quality of this piece, looks way better than the Procharger I had some time back.

This is going on a street driven 23 degree Milodon Aluminum 427 ci small block (Moldex Crank, Carrilos, etc.) . If it works, I'll build a 16 degree SBC motor for race use.

This is a GREAT forum and I'm happy to have joined.

Thanx for reading this and your input.

LEE

Lee, I would look towards vortech for the brackets. Thats about all the help I can give. I would think the rebuild is going to be around 1k or so.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member

Hi Brandon,

Truly appreciate your fast reply.

I called Paxton 2 weeks ago and the person on the phone was naturally not able to give a proper estimate as the head was not there.

He said that the impeller was about 200 or so, not including labor. After looking at the assembly jpegs on this site, I see that rebuilding it is a percise and fairly labor intensive reality (the heating of parts to enssure close fit, etc.)

I will try Vortech forr the brackets... Vortech bought Paxton a few years ago, no?

I may just have some fabricated.

Going where no Vette guy has gone before (Novi 2K) also means that , also have to figure out squeezing the large components into the C4 Corvette engine bay. Unlike turbos, blowers are belt driven and the free forward-area of a C4 Corvette engine bay can be measured by a nano meter.

Again, many thanx for taking the time to respond, I truly appreciate it!

LEE

Lee, I have a buddy here with a 430 somthing small block in a 87 vette with a t-trim and an old accel gen 5. I'll talk to him tonight about his brackets and such.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Brandon,

Thanx, much obliged!

LEE

Lee,
    Click on this LINK . This guy hasn't posted in a while, but you might E-mail him and see where he got his brakets and stuff.

As far as a rebuild of your headunit. It shouldn't run more than about $750.00. Thats if you need the impeller, bearings, and everything else.
    Good luck
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    Doug,

I really appreciate your going out of the way to help.

I just e-mailed Mark and I hope that he has some of the answers that have so far eluded me.

Regarding the bearings, etc., I haven't opened it up yet... (kind of afraid to... after I saw the assembly instructions on the site... heh, heh,), but I was told that all is OK, it was just "new old stock", but w/o an impeller for some weird reason.

I hope that is the actual case, -and I will take a peek inside before sending it off...

10,000 Thanx!

LEE

Lee, I spoke with my buddy, his stuff is vortech. So defenitly try them.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Welcome Lee, keep us updated on how it works out! Got any pics of your vette.?