Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Thoughts on aftercoolers

Thread: Thoughts on aftercoolers

Thoughts on aftercoolers

The guys who have used aftercoolers or know of people who have, what are your thoughts on them and are they worth the time and effort?
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Senior SCH Member
    they are always worth the time and effort, especially at the track, biggest advantage is less chance of detonation when run with ice and water, I have run the regular aftercooler, air to air intercooler and an igloo, all work very effectively.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    Hey Spence, got a question for you. When comparing a igloo w/ ice water to an air/air, how much colder do you think the air is with a iglo and water vs. just air/air/. I have a spearco air/air for my X trim, didn't want to mess with water, ice and water cell, pump and all the supporting equipment with an air/water method. If I get the thing tapped out for power with the air/air I may go ahead and convert my air/air to water and mount it in the car. But I don't even have the car running yet so it will be awhile before it needs more power.:D

I think I have heard that for every 10 degrees that you lower the air inlet temp., you gain 1% in power. Is this somewhat correct. This is why I have asked you about the difference between air/air vs. air/water.

Thanks Spence.

Gary Putnam

Senior SCH Member
    Gary,
    My tests are shakey becuase I have my YS so over spun its not funny. according to my datalogs, the Igloo would leave the line WAY cooler, like 30°, but on the big end, the igloo and A/A were both the same temps(145°), we tried changing pumps, lines, etc on the igloo but we could not get it to get any colder, the discharge tube out of the blower was so friggin hot that it would melt skin, so at 145° it was definatly doing its job, but the blower was being spun to 71,000 rpms and this we beleive is why the igloo couldnt keep up. we are now going to a bigger in car cooler to see if we can get the temps down. I have compared notes with other guys with igloos and it seems the F1Rs and the bigger 76mm turbos dont have this problem as they can move alot more air than the YS can. With a bigger blower, I am pretty sure the temps would have come down into the double digits.
    Spence

8.96/160

Here's my aftercooler www.snowperformance.net
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

SCH Member
    Do those really work.
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

Junior SCH Member
    do you have any pictures of your snowperformance set up
    the pic on the site are not too imformative...
    thanks

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by blownaway
    Do those really work.
    Yeah, water injection works OK. It takes some tuning to find out when/how much to inject but a well tuned system will get you most of what an intercooler will. Considering the price difference it's not a horrible option but you do have to watch fluid levels.

OTOH, if you're just looking at WOT only then you might as well run nitrous as your aftercooler and get even more power :D
    Parker

1990 LX w/S-trim
    1990 Cougar XR7 (3.8 SC)

Senior SCH Member
    I agree CHEMICAL COOLING works great (with boost) ! ;)

:D
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Senior SCH Member
    I have thought about using an aftercooler on the cobra. However, the idea of using an air to air intercooler from spearco sounds intriguing as well!
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

SCH Member
    I seriously considered using a small shot of Nitrous to cool the charge, is that so crazy. What would be the cheapest setup and how much would I need?
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

Junior SCH Member
    I'm no expert on this but a 75-100hp shot should be about right. The worst thing is getting enough fuel supply...
    Parker

1990 LX w/S-trim
    1990 Cougar XR7 (3.8 SC)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by blown89stang
    Here's my aftercooler www.snowperformance.net
    Does the boost cooler work good and can you run full timing?