Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
main cap girdle?

Thread: main cap girdle?

Senior SCH Member

main cap girdle?

anyone ever have a probelm with the girdle lining up with all the studs. the two studs in the middle won't line up at all. probaly about 1/8" off. thinking about opening up the holes on the girdle some.

Senior SCH Member
    You need to be careful when installing a girdle. Improper installation of a girdle can actually cause more damage.

A girdle should be really installed and then the main journals line honed or at least checked. If the holes on the girdle are that far off, I would send it back. I have always had good luck with the Canton girdle.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    i wrote the guy that i got it from and he said that a few other guys have complained about them not wanting to line up either. while i was trying to figure out why it wasn't lining up i found a crack in the block so the girdle is the least of my worries right now. i took it over to a local machine shop that is going to weld it up for me then i'll try and figure out the girdle problem.

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar
    What brand is yours ? Mine is from FRPP and it fit with no mods.
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

Senior SCH Member
    i also think i found out what the problem is with it lining up, i hope anyways. i torqued the studs to 20ft/lb. my machinist thinks that caused the bolts to draw sideways in the block and is causing the misalignment probelm. i'll find out tomorrow after i get it back from being welded. this time i'll just finger tighten them. learn as you go i guess. good thing i saw the crack before i got it all together and ran it, huh.

Senior SCH Member
    First off, I have heard bad things about CAT products. Second of all, I can't believe torquing them down to 20 ft/lbs would cause them to move 1/8".

Since you already have the block out and being welded, I would realy consider the advice I gave you above. Install the girdle and check main bore line.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Senior SCH Member
    well i won't be getting my block back until Monday now. if it doesn't line up right with the studs not being torqued down i'm going to send it back. i'll be sure and check the caps lining up with the block after the install. we have some micrometers in at work that i'm going to take home to check it with.

edit: what all have you heard about them? is it not a good girdle to use?

As mentioned a girlde is really to be installed when the block is being aligned honed, I do not think I would suggest installing one after the fact.. Be careful..

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    i told the machine shop who did the work that i was putting a girdle in it and he didn't mention anything about it. like i said i will check it myself with a micrometer and see if there is any difference between the two surfaces when i get it back on Monday. is there any kind of spec to go by when checking it with a mic.? i would think there shouldn't be anymore than 2 thousandths, seem about right?

Senior SCH Member
    well got my block back and everything seems ok. i hand tightened the studs and the girdle lines up ok. i torqued the girdle down to 60ft/lbs and used a dial bore gage to check the inside of the mains. on 2 of them there is a difference across the section where the cap and the block join. one of them is .001" and the other is .002". does anyone know what the maxium is i can go? wonder if i should get it line bored or if that will be ok.