Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
130-140amp alternator on fox body help....

Thread: 130-140amp alternator on fox body help....

130-140amp alternator on fox body help....

hey guys, i have to get a new alternaotr, my "rewound" 130amp stock housing alternator took a crap today. so i want one of the bigger 130 or 140 amp units. how do these fit inplace over the factory style alt with the paxton brackets? any fabbing or direct fit? how about wiring? do i need all new heavy duty wires to supprt the new alt? any info is appreciated....i need to buy soon so give me some help =)
    thanx,
    -justin

Fits fine w/o a smog pump. You will have to upgrade your wiring and how it's done depends some on if you have relocated the bat to the trunk.

Here's a couple of links:

http://fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/...e/index2.shtml

http://www.racesystems.com/3gproj/

BuffHomer on the Corral has a good write-up as well and it's pretty straightforward if I recall correctly. Try a search for his username and he has a link in his sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Here's the link that I used to do mine.

http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom3.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Justing, If you have the new style Novi it fits just fine. I had a stock one in in the first place and changed over to 140amp and I did nothing but swap it out. You just need to cut a wire I think and run a power leed to the battery. Also if you want it to charge full time without only charging when it calls for it you would need to plug a wire into a slot on the alt. The directions tell you. Well It will probubly depend on the alt you buy anyway...
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    i would do the install stated above by Sean. The inline fuse and heavy guage wiring is the safest and best choice for the alternator with that type of power. The stock wiring isn't really sufficient for the stock alternator=more power=possible fire! It's worth the effort, i did it to mine, came out great and charges like a bastard!
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

i ran all new wires as well. And it fit just fine when i had my 130 amp alt on the bottom as well.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

thanx for the info guys...i only asked about the "wire upgrade" cause i did run across some tech pages where they had reused the factory wiring on the 3g alt.....but i went out & purchased some #4 wire & a heavy duty inline fuse anyways..............thanx again!

-justin

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar
    good move. those articles using the stock wiring should be removed from the net, cuz that is bad advise!
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

i hear ya, thanx again!

-justin

SCH Member

1 wire 3G

..gonna be doing a 1 wire 130 amp 3G this weekend on the Mustang that I picked up off of Ebay. Just picked up all the wiring and connectors yesterday. Let ya know how it goes.