Thread: are all YS-trim head units the same? renegade kit vs. the sho street kit (8-10psi)

Junior SCH Member

are all YS-trim head units the same? renegade kit vs. the sho street kit (8-10psi)

I know the renegade kit is a race version. But I thought the head units were the same. Mine has a sticker on it that says RACE VERSION. Are the head units from one kit to the other the same or different. It also says RACE M on the serial tag.

Junior SCH Member

Same...

All of the YS/YSi heads units are built using the exact same parts. There are no differences between street and race only applications. The only difference between the SHO blower and the Ren or Race blowers is that the SHO YS will come stamped with an E.O. # for emissions legality.

~R

Nope

n2boost is correct about the renagade and SHO difference as the EO # and also that the renegade kit does not come with any fuel or electronic components. However, the YSi and YS are not the same! The impellers are different. The YSi is capaple of 1600cfm and 1200+hp and maximum pressure flow of 30 psig and an adiabatic efficiency rating of 78%. Not trying to be argumentative just accurate.

For the record the YS is capable of 1500cfm and 1000+hp and maximum pressure of 29 psig and 74% adiabatic efficiency.
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Junior SCH Member

Let me clarify here...

ALL of the V7 superchargers are indeed built using the SAME parts. This includes, the old school Y, the YS, and the new YSi. although these units are capable of different flow levels and power producing ability...they get the same bearings, the same shaft assemblies, the same gearcase assemblies. They use the same impeller casting and the same volute casting. Each unit is just machined differently but like I stated before...they use all of the same parts. Hope this helps clear things up.

~R

Re: Let me clarify here...

Originally posted by n2boost
    ALL of the V7 superchargers are indeed built using the SAME parts. This includes, the old school Y, the YS, and the new YSi. although these units are capable of different flow levels and power producing ability...they get the same bearings, the same shaft assemblies, the same gearcase assemblies. They use the same impeller casting and the same volute casting. Each unit is just machined differently but like I stated before...they use all of the same parts. Hope this helps clear things up.

~R
    Eh learned something new today. Sorry to doubt. :D

Junior SCH Member

Cool!

It's all good. Take care. :)

"For Immediate Release

V-7 YSi-Trim Supercharger*

Channel Islands, CA (August 21, 2003) - Vortech Engineering, LLC has introduced a new V-7 YSi-Trim supercharger.

The new YSi was designed using Vortech’s exclusive supercharger test cell designed to meet SAE-J1723 standard. Developed primarily for racing applications, the new YSi offers performance capabilities of 1200 horsepower.

This new supercharger eclipses the performance capability of the V-7 YS-Trim by approximately 200 horsepower and it offers a maximum airflow capacity of 1,600 CFM. The YSi has a maximum pressure flow of 30 psig and an adiabatic efficiency rating of 78%.

For those who already own the V-7 YS-Trim supercharger, a new upgrade is available which will include a new impeller, compressor housing, and replacement seals and bearings.

Suggested retail price for the new V-7 YSi-Trim Supercharger is $2,750.95 and the starting price to upgrade a V-7 YS to YSi-Trim is $1,199.95. "

this was a quote taken from Vortech's news release so I assumed (damb I mad an *** of myself) that when it said new impeller it meant different impeller design.
    Mike

Re: Cool!

Originally posted by n2boost
    It's all good. Take care. :)
    Cool. All I know is I want one!!!! :D

Junior SCH Member

Ok ok....

If you read what I said... it says that they all use the same impeller casting. That means that the impeller starts out as the exact same casting as the YS. It just gets machined differently. If it will help everyone understand a little better...the only difference in the YS impeller v. the YSi is that the YSi is a tad bit larger at the inducer. Where the YS has a 3.640" inducer diameter, the YSi is 3.700. That is the main change...other than that the countours were massaged a bit to help bring the efficiency up. Some new volute technology has been employed as well.

You are correct that it is a new design though...just loosely based off of the old one, using the same raw casting.

I think Project86's main question was whether or not there was a non-race version used in certain kits or were all of the YS's the same. What would make one blower more of a race blower than another would be bearing type, arrangement, and pre-load. And in the case of the V7 units they are all the same.

~R