Thread: bypass valve question

Senior SCH Member

bypass valve question

i just put my bypass vale on, at idle its shooting out a lot of air, and when im driving around its still releasing, but when i got WOT it closes a little then gets very loud

is it normal for the air to constantly come out or should it be shut until i push in the clutch? i have the vacuum line hooked up to the back of the manifold, running a tube with a t fitting to the boost gauge, and then to the bypass vale. it is a vortech bypass, not mondo

any advice and suggestions help :)

Are you releasing to the atmosphere?

The valve should be open until you reach 0 vaccuum that is what holds it open.It sounds like it is working properly to me.
    But I wouldnt be releasing the air out side of the intake tract, that is metered air and the car could get really rich if you dont recirculate it.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    yes its venting to the atmosphere, i need to cap the end and reroute it after the MAF?

Senior SCH Member
    i uploaded some pictures of it to the photopost, check it out

http://www.novipower.com/photopost/s...pe=2&si=r0ck3r

Ok you need to run a hose from the open end of the bypass to the inlet of the blower, make sure it is after the MAF. Are you using the stock inlet or a power pipe?
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    "power pipe" as they call it check my photopost, ill upload a pic of it

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    When you run the engine this way does the engine stumble or die when you let off and the boost drops. Does your Check Engine light blink and do you have a way to check codes to see what you get in errors. I rather release mine to the atmosphere and adjust everything with my PMS because I am tired of getting a very lean condition when letting off the throttle after full boost I rather have it go rich that is a lot safer. Thanks

Senior SCH Member
    car doesnt stall when i left off the gas, or get off of boost... i noticed after i put the bypass on my a/f gauge fluctuated a lot more then it did before ... but even before i had the gauge on when if drive on the highway it would read in the lean zone

Right now, you are venting "metered" air to atmosphere. So the computer is compensating for air that isn't there, so to speak.

However I am not an expert in this area so I'm not sure what the computer would do in this case. Hopefully someone will enlighten us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    turns out the MAF sensor was unplugged, when we plugged it in with the bypass hooked up, it ran like complete ***. the car was on the dyno and it sounded like it was misfiring every second. we unplugged the hose from the bypass and plugged in the maf and it ran a lot better

but still didn't produce enough hp, need smaller pulley!

I had that happen to me before, faulty plug. I could do my burnout and the plug would come disconnected, then stage & it'd run like crap....