Thread: single belt drive system, belt torque specs?

Senior SCH Member

single belt drive system, belt torque specs?

just installed the single belt 1000 kit on my LX and it seems like the belt is slipping slightly at startup and when i goose the throttle. i hear a squeak sound which sounds like belt squeel. anyways how tight do i need to tension the belt to stop the squeel?i wouldnt think you would want to go real tight since that would put stress onj the other accessories but to loose is definetly not good

Mike try a shot of belt dressing if you are concerned about overtightning the belt, worked wonders on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Mike, the belt needs to be tight enough that you don't hear it sqeek when you start the car. I know about tightening it too much I runied an air pump and a PS pump. You'll have to try to just tight enough so it don't slip. And 5150LX is right I tried some belt dressing and it helped out alot
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

Mike when i first fired mine up i got the same thing. Double check you accesory tensioner and make sure that is lined up. I tightened the crap out of my blower belt and it didn't change. But when i started getting shreads off the accesory belt, well it was obvious then.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

ahhh crap this is single drive.......ignore me
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Senior SCH Member
    i put on some belt dressing and it seemed to help. heading off to the track here in a few, wish me luck

Go kick some A** Mike, wish I could :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

alright!! TRACK #'S!!!

Senior SCH Member
    well i managed to run a 12.81 @ 112 on radials tonight (best motor pass is a 13.80 @ 101 on same radials) so 1 sec and 11 mph. not bad i guess. not sure how much boost its making as i dont have a gauge and i have my timing at 22 total so im sure theres a lot left in it. problem now is im shreading belts left and right. went through 5 tonight