Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paxton balldrive info ??

Junior SCH Member

paxton balldrive info ??

Iam new to the blower thing and Ive purchased a blower that is used approx 20 hrs ( ya right ) Anyway, I need any info you can give me on a draw through install on a 355 small block with a 780 holley on top, 10.5 compression Thanks in advance .:) This unit has the dipstick on the front of it( dont know the actuall model )
    Never enough

Senior SCH Member
    We need more information to provide any help. Please list all of the details.

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The Serial Number Tag starts with the model number. SN89,SN93 Etc. You can get the hat from Procharger that works really well. Hat is the carb cover that the outlet tube hooks into. Metering a carb is a tough job but if you use a street demon the jetting for a chevy seems to be very very close from others I have spoke with so find out what the jetting is for a street demon when using a Holley. You need a Air/Fuel professional quality meter or take it baby steps and purchase a lot of plugs so you can get a good reading when checking them.

Paxton also makes a hat that is very nice quality. If anything is wrong with your blower. The only place I know of that rebuilds/services the ball drive stuff is Paradise wheels. They are located in Escondido California.

Doug

BTW

Welcome to Novipower!!
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    (Now be gental mustang guys) Ok here goes, the project is a 83 S10 shortbox, 355cid,turbo 400 with 3500 stall and stage 2 kit . The engine is nothing outrageous but fun it is !! Holley 780 jetted to the edge, edelbrock performer intake,comp cam xe268, 194/160 heads, headman shorties ( never again ) 60 over cyls with 10.5 ratio, bottom is stock. Now with speedystangs help ,I have a SN92 and as mentioned before I would like to use the draw through setup that came with the unit( Seems like everyone like the hat better , is there a comparison someone can show me ??) Money dictates in this project thats my reason for wanting to use it. Any other info needed please be specific as to what you require and Ill get it to you asap Thanks for the help
    Never enough

Well you have to much compression even at 5psi. You will need 114+ octane or better. I like the hat better because getting the box sealed is really tuff and what a pain when you need to make adjustments but since you have it use it. The hat gives so much more room and is so much lower under the hood. The other problem I have seen with the box is your going to only see maybe 2-3 psi. I also never liked the throttle response of the box because you need to build boost fast and in great volumn to build pressure. With the hat your not filling such a large object. Pour packaging foam in a coffee cup now put packaging foam in a shoe box. Takes a lot more foam and takes longer to fill.

Junior SCH Member
    Iam not sure what you mean about a box ? I have a plate that sits on the top of the intake , then the carb sits on that, its called a turbosonic ?? The charger drawsfrom the carb on the top side of the plate( its about 4inchs thick ) and sqeezes into the bottom side of the plate which is open to the intake,, does this sound like something you know about??? The compression is no prob, I have different heads !! Thanks
    Never enough

I have no idea what you mean. I'm very ignorant of this stuff. Do you have any pics?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    Ill get you some , Iam new to the site so it may take me a bit to get them posted.
    Never enough

Junior SCH Member
    Ok, the pics of the adapter plate should be in my gallery have a look and let me know what you think
    Never enough

OK. You have the Banks turbo plate. I had one of those plates on my 74 Corvette 350. Banks once offered turbo kits for the home mechanic back in the 70's and a few ended up on Corvettes from the dealership. I never had a real problem with that unit and it is easy to adjust the carb with it. It looks a little different but not by much. The only thing with that plate is I remember articles in my old Vette magazines that you had to have the pressure source really near the plate. My turbo was bolted on top of the valve cover on my 350 so that turbo only had a 2" silicon piece to the plate. You will be using 2 or 3 feet of piping so I am not sure about response but a supercharger works faster than a large turbo so it probably will work great.

Junior SCH Member
    Well thats good news, thanks, now for carburation, I have a 780 holley and I was going to go 4jet sizes larger and change my power valve vacumm source. After that I was going to check plugs and rejet, does this sound safe??
    Never enough

Start high on jetting and work down is a good idea. Is that a mechanical secondary model.

Junior SCH Member
    no vacumm secondarys, should it be mechanical?
    Never enough

The vacuum secondary will be a problem. The problem with vacuum secondary will be you won't have vacuum under boost you will have pressure so under boost your secondary won't open and will probably destroy the diaphram. With mechanical you tune by bending the rod and you will be able to get a nice transfer from part to full throttle with out a lean condition between throttle blades open at different rates.