Thread: 10 sec Impala SS video

Junior SCH Member

10 sec Impala SS video

Hello boosters!
    I've got an 4261 lbs 1996 Impala SS with 396 stroker and a reversed F1-R that boost some 20 psi - sometimes.
    Because I have a unsolved problem with rippin' cog belts...

More about my combination and broken belts at
    http://www.blackout.nu

The video you'll find if you click: RACES and then 2003, then scroll down to RACE 5 at Santa Pod.
    Scroll then down a bit to find a thumbnail. Video is 4.4 M.

You'll here the MEAN sound of 20 psi in the burnout, 17 psi at the launch and 7 psi at the top end....

See you!

Anders
    BLACKOUT FULL SIZE RACING
    10 sec street driven Impala SS
    ProCharger F1R 20 psi

That is awesome! Have you dynoed your car?

Ian

SCH Moderator
    Your car sounds GREAT!

I might know what is causing your belts to shear the teeth off. I had a similar problem with a previous setup (P1200BR) on the dyno when I was tuning the new setup. Any time I went full throttle for any length of time it would strip the teeth clean. I'm still finding teeth in the engine compartment after 3 years.

The problem was a simple one but one that was difficult to convince myself that it would have the effect of stripping the teeth off the cog belt. It was one of the pipe connections that would come off under boost. Not low boost, but high boost (mine was making 19 lbs). One would normally think that if a hose comes off that it would not have the effect that it does but after talking to a senior guy at ATI this was his conclusion. It seems that the blower will see very high loads without having much resistance on the exit end of the blower because without exit resistance the inlet is trying to suck in massive amounts of air. It made sense to me and once the bad connection was fixed the shreading went away for good.

Now, yours might not have a hose that is popping off under boost (I assume you have checked all of the connections) but you might want to carefully inspect any rubber elbows that you might have for splits along the seams that are difficult to see when there is no pressure to open them up. Also might want to double check even the straight rubber connections, also the bypass valve to make sure it is not opening under high pressure.

Anyway, I hope the problem is as simple as this and good luck.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

Junior SCH Member
    John,

Thanks for the tip!
    That was certainly an interesting point of view and I will have a close look on that.

Ian,
    Engine is dynoed only N/A 8.5:1 and the chart you'll find on my homepage. 490 hp something. I'm aiming for 1 K with F1-R when everything is sorted out and I can get some 20+ psi all the way.
    BLACKOUT FULL SIZE RACING
    10 sec street driven Impala SS
    ProCharger F1R 20 psi