Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
first time engine build-up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time engine build-up

Senior SCH Member

first time engine buil-up

anyone have any suggestions for a first time rebuilder. just recently got the block bored .030 over. i bought a rebuild kit through summit that had speed-pro forged pistons. a friend's dad is going to give me a hand tomorrow night on getting started. just wondering if anyone wants to offer any kind of advice. thanks in advance

Be clean and meticulous.

Measure all clearances and make sure to torque everything to proper specs.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them in here.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    already having a problem. the stud for the girdle is hitting the oil pump. its about 1/2" too long. would it be ok to cut it down some?

Senior SCH Member
    figured out the problem with the oil pump. evidently i should have had one stud that was shorter than the others. i had to cut it down 7/16" to clear the oil pump. still going to have to adjust the pick-up more though and the oil pump has a section on it that is hitting the oil pan, going to grind it off. so far i have 2 pistons in place. all in all going good so far.

Senior SCH Member
    well onto a new problem. the factory oil pan doesn't appear to be tall enough to clear the pickup in its new place. i had a heack of a time getting it to clear the oil pump and girdle, now i have a problem with it not wanting to clear the oil pickup tube. do they make a oil pan designed for this problem or am i just not doing something right?

Slider does your rear sump rear wall go vertical or is it slanted. I believe the 90's oil pans have a slanted rear wall which does not clear girdled motors well. You may need an 87-89 pan. PM Mikey Mustang as I believe he had this problem on his motor.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    it is slanted. i found a proform oil pan on ebay that i think will work. see what you think. heres the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438384081
    i'll try and pm mikey also. thanks

Senior SCH Member
    i got the oil pan to clear the girdle and sit down on the block but when i mount the pickup on the lowest point on the oil pan hits it. the lowest point on my oil pan needs to be about 1" more then it ouwld clear. anyone have any ides, short of having to get another oil pan?

slider, how's the motor coming. Looks as though I will be attempting to the same here in about a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    well i got the bottom end together. waiting for my proform oil pan so that i can use the girdle. once i get the oil pan it shoudn't take me very long to get it fired up. the machine shop has the heads i'm going to put on it. they have to replace 3 valve guides and then they will be ready to go. checked all my clearances and everything was within spec. hopefully i don't forget something. talk about being nervous when it's time to turn the key, i'll be quivering like a dog pooping a razor blade.

Originally posted by slider_buck
    talk about being nervous when it's time to turn the key, i'll be quivering like a dog pooping a razor blade.

OMG! :D I fell out of my chair laughing!!!! LOL!!!!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Senior SCH Member
    you guys know where i can get a one piece oil pan gasket at? i don't like the design of the one that came in the kit. the seal that overlap the crank are rubber and then along the sides are cork. don't like that at all. i know i have heard of other people getting a one piece design but i have no clue as to where at.

Your local Ford dealer should have one..

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    what are they used on though? are there certain year mustangs that have a one pice design? i remember something about one is from an f150, i think.

NAPA auto parts has them

the part number is - OS32491

they came on 90-93 5.0s-i believe