Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: white smoke coming out of exhaust

Senior SCH Member
    maybe i put the head gaskets on wrong. my friend told me passenger side goes on with the colored side up, and on drivers side with colored side down.

i don't remember how i did it but its always a possibility

does anyone have a pic of how the head gaskets go on?

i can do all the work myself, but sometimes i think it isn't even worth it to work on it and its better to take it to a shop, but the problems will still remain =l

Junior SCH Member
    I did a BIG burnout with my car, right after i got it back from a dyno session... I bounced off the limiter by accident... Raced... drove home without a problem... Pumped some gas into my car and pulled up to a red light, and noticed a lot of white smoke... It was cold, so i thought nothing of it. The next day while driving normal the same thing happened, temp shot up rediculously fast... Turned out i had no coolant/water left at all. Did the pressure test, and it was building a lot of pressure in the radiator. Car would idle fine without eating water or coolant. Took my car to throw the sniffer into the radiator and there was exhaust in my radiator.. a lot of it... turned out it was a headgasket, even though the car still ran good and pulled like an animal. A slight tear, but it was there. No milky oil. But that's what happened. Sounds like the same thing happened to you.

Senior SCH Member
    should i just tear the motor apart and put some of the heavy duty head gaskets on it, or should i start the car and let it idle for a little bit, then drive it around for a few and see if the smoke is still comin out?

tired of problems!!!

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If you take the heads off clean them well and the block and use new head bolts to get a good even torque. If I had to guess I would say your head gasket was not seated well and when then put a higher pressure cap on the radiator it lifted the outside water passage on the gasket which puts liquid into the intake port which is burning in the exhaust which will not show in the oil enough with blow-by for you to see on the dipstick. Now this can happen also with a intake gasket and your method of gasket installation was not the best. Remove your intake you will probably see your water path from the intake gasket. Clean up everything from the intake if that was the problem and install the intake gasket dry then put RTV around the front and rear water ports and the front and rear intake ends, place the intake down and torque to 14-16ftlbs. Wait just a hour is fine start the car after a heat cycle retorque bolts. Just one more thing a compression check probably won't help for this kind of leak but a radiator pressure pump will.

Senior SCH Member
    my head gaskets were blown pretty bad, i took the heads to a machine shop and had them milled, my friend says i might need a shim to compensate for the amount they decked off, what do you think?

also, re-lashing the rockers, whats the best way? spin the crank till the push rods are all the way down, tighten them till you cant spin the psuh rod, then spin it a half turn to tighten it?