Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
white smoke coming out of exhaust
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: white smoke coming out of exhaust

Senior SCH Member

white smoke coming out of exhaust

i had just got my car off the dyno ,was driving back from steeda and i decided to get on it on the highway, i went from 3rd to the top of 4th, after i got off of it my friend said there was some white smoke comin out the back, when i stopped at the light off of the highway a HUGE *** cloud covered my car and the car next to me, the whole way home it was smoking.

we took apart the car, got down to the lower intake, some of the bolts weren't tight so we figured i might have just been burning coolant, took it off and the gasket was half on the manifold and half of the head, it seemed all f'd (**edited by your Friendly MOD :D **)up, so we put some new lower intake gaskets on thinking it would hopefully solve the problem

we started it up about 10minutes ago, timing was wrong so we finally got it adjusted and got it running, it was running fine so to speak but there was light smoke coming out the engine, on the driver side of the car, then it disappated fast (sp?) and didnt come back, we turned it off to see if we could find the problem and we heard something like air trying to get out of somethin, i thoguht it was the radiator hose, we disconnected it and the sound stopped; ok problem fixed right?

we started it again, it was running "fine", that noise stopped, then we messed with the throttle and gave it some gas, it revved up to abou 2500, and then settled at 2k or so, and just hung there, me and my friend looked at eachother and were like "uh, ok ..." i go around back of the car to get to the drivers side and i see white smoke coming out the back, i was like "damn it" and it wasn't stopping, so i kind of stared at it for about 5sec and it just kept coming out. i turned off the car went out to the back again and you could see the smoke just drifting out the passenger side, not a lot just like a lil bit of "smoke" so to speak

i had a 7lb radiator cap on before, when i went to a 16lb the
    upper radiator hose started getting rock hard, the guys at steeda told me i needed a 16lb cap with the radiator i had (fluidyne), then all those problems started happening...

does anyone know what the hell is goin on? :( :( :( :( :fist:

Just an off the cuff guess, but how much of a hurry did you do the lower intake gaskets??? Not bashing, but I learned to be very meticulous when doing those after messing up several set's at $20.

Have you pulled any plugs on the side that's giving you the smoke?

Any moisture in addition to smoke? What does the smoke smell like?

Have you checked your oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    smoke smellsl ike coolant, took off the breather cap and its black, no milkly oil. i put the gaskets on, sat the intake on and bolted it down, 24 hours later, took it off rtved the other side of the gasket, and the manifold.

it cant be the manifold gaskets or anything cause i haven't even driven it and its smoking, it just looked like white smoke ill checkl tomorrow to see if its damp or anything

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    If you trashed a Head Gasket at the right place you won't have water in your oil. The 16lb cap could have just let you now see the problem. Pull the plugs you will find the problem.

Senior SCH Member
    if i have a blown head gasket, there will be water in my oil correct?

so i can drain my oil and if theres no water in there, there shouldn't be a blown gasket right?

also, i pulled out my spark plugs on cylinders 6 and 1 and they are JET black, i guess im running rich as hell.

friend says that 16lb cap is probably whts causing some of the problems, like the rock hard radiator hose ... steeda told me i needed at least a 15 for my application, cause on the dyno when he punched it, the 7lb cap was leaking, so im guessin i need about a 8 - 10 lb cap that will be able to handle WOT, but still be able to vent

=/

If the smoke out of the exhaust smells like coolant, then I would have to agree that more than likely you have a failed h/g.

As speedtang indicated, you can have a blown h/g, but not have water in the oil...yet.

Do you get bubbling into the radiator/overfill bottle after it's warmed up?? This is another classic sign of a possible h/g failure.

Originally posted by r0ck3r
    i put the gaskets on, sat the intake on and bolted it down, 24 hours later, took it off rtved the other side of the gasket, and the manifold.
    This baffles me.... I have not run across this method. Did you use any RTV the 1st time around???

Senior SCH Member
    yes i did

For a head gasket it could be either or. I mean think about it it all depends on were exactly the head gasket broke. It could go in the exhaust or in the oil.

1. In the oil pan

2. Out of the exhaust

or even both at the same time.
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

Originally posted by r0ck3r
    yes i did
    Okay, so you installed a new gasket (fel-pro 1250, I assume), used RTV around the water passages at bothe the front and rear of each head. Used RTV at the end-rails (or cork crappy gasket supplied in the intake gasket kit), dropped the lower in place, torqued down to manufacture's specs.

Then you let it sit for 24hrs and then pulled the lower off again to add more RTV?

Forgive me if I am way off, but this is my interpretation of how you did the lower intake gasket.......

Originally posted by mheinjr
    For a head gasket it could be either or. I mean think about it it all depends on were exactly the head gasket broke. It could go in the exhaust or in the oil.

1. In the oil pan

2. Out of the exhaust

or even both at the same time.
    I've done both, lol. I could rev it and literally shoot antifreeze 15 ft outta my tailpipes. I blew that one bad :D

Senior SCH Member
    i put the 1250s on, rtv them sat them down, palced the lower intake on let it sit for 24hours, take the lower intake off, rtv it up and then replace it. i did not use the cork 1s they didnt seem to want to fit, so i put rtv there instead. theres no leak coming out of there so i don't know ...

what do you guys suggest? i tear down the motor and get some expensive head gaskets, or o-ring the heads or what?

I use the silicone for front and back instead of the cork...

Now having you put rtv on and let it set for 24h than removed it and added more you may have f**ked up the gasket now that you did that, but that's what I think
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

I understand what rock is saying, He means that he places the lower intake gaskets on the heads with silicon around the water passages then lays the intake on for wieght till it drys. Then puts more silicon on the intake side and torques it down.

I would have thought that you found the problem with the blown intake gasket myself, but it seems like you blew both the intake and headgasket.

I say this because it hasnt stopped burning anti-freeze.

What do the plugs look like are any of them brand new looking or very clean?

If so that will be the cylinder that is blown, I hope Im wrong but it really seems like there is more to it.

Let us know what happens.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    my spark plugs are dark black, my friend is going to do a compression test with me...

i don't understand why its having all these problems espically under only 5lbs of boost ... ever since i got that supercharger o nthe car nothing has worked right