Thread: Balldrive synthetic oils ?

Junior SCH Member

Balldrive synthetic oils ?

I am thinking that I want to use a better oil than the old Type F oil, what are others useing, there has to be something better than type F.:)
    Never enough

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Just use Type 'F'. Type 'F' is a excellent lube. Syn. will cause the shaft to slip on the balls and you will lower boost and cause severe wear. Many other products have been used and they just cause seals and bearings to wear out and leak. Plus at $1.29 a Quart and you can get 2 changes with it why try something that cost more. I have a VR4 that with a 3.5" pulley puts out 14psi and now has 65k miles with no problems. I remove it during the winter and check everything out internally and it always looks new and using a caliper for measurments everything is perfect. By the way the clearances internally was based on the Type 'F' thickness etc.

Junior SCH Member
    Just for info sake so you under stand what Iam doing here, I stuffed a 355 into a rusty old s 10 and am trying to build a fast Sleeper. Now , The under hood temps are high to begin with so I was concerned with the added temp of the blower( once in boost mode )I dont want to cook the blower!! Or the engine..( And just to brag abit for the rust bucket, she spanked a 2000 vette in a quarter , on the Engine alone so alittle boost should do it for engine mods :D) Any way, You still feel type f is the way to go? Should I put a cooler on the blower?
    Never enough

Use Type "F" only. I had a sn-92 for about 8 years. I went down the same road as you considering a different fluid. I did and paid the price of leaky seals and eventual failure. After rebuild I stuck with 70,000 happy Type "F" years. Now I have a Novi 1000 and am really happy. No more damn sucking oil out of the head unit:D

You may want to consider upgrading to a Novi. I got $1400.00 for my old ball drive system on E-bay!!!!!
    Craig

Click Here for my POS
    91 GT Vert
    Edelbrock Heads/Intake/Paxton 9psi
    Stock cam w/1.72RR's
    36# Injectors, Pro-M 75mm bullet
    Kenne Bell BAP, No FMU, Higgins Chip
    Mac 1 5/8 shorties, 2 1/2 off road H
    Tremec 3550, Eaton 31 spline, Mosers
    SSBC rear disk conversion
    Dyno 429HP / 408 ft-lbs R.I.P 331 in thw works

Type 'F' is the Letter of the Day. A cooler would be a nice addition but used you probably won't find and if Paradise has them new he will want a good dollar for it.

Aaron, I don't know if this applies to to the ball drive blowers or not, but the old timers in my area swear up and down that " not all type f is created equal. They say that motorcraft type f is leaps and bounds better than all the rest. They all run 460's and c-4's so they've broke enough of them to find out.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

That is probably true. The problem for us Ball Drive guys is that the rating on the transmission fluid is like oil, anyone seems to get that federal rating without telling you what is in it. I use Valvoline just because years ago I had them as a sponsor and have cases of Trans 'F' around. Since we only use it for 3k miles not sure if we are using up anything in the fluid. With my cooler and filter mine looks like new at 3000 miles and PAxton in '90 said with cooler and filter you don't need to change fluid but every 12k miles I am not sure on the break down of what is in it and the company that tests my motor oil does not test trans fluid because they don't have a chemical break down to eliminate what should or should not be in the fluid. I have a MDS sheet for it and it is not really any help.

Junior SCH Member
    From the sounds of it, Iam going to have to make a cooler!! Ill post a new thread and see what all info I can get.Speedy, you said yo may be able to get me a pic of the dipstick.. could you, it would be most helpful,and any dimentions that yoou may have for the cooler and pump> Thanks again
    Never enough

The cooler can be any size trans cooler. The one Paxton used was just a single 'U' like the ones at Autozone-PartsAmerica for $20 with hoses. I myself use one about the size of of our radiator. I paid like $75 at Jegs for it. The pump is a foreign car 6psi Carb pump. I upgraded to a 10psi because of the size of my trans cooler. The pickup and return tube goes into the dipstick hole. You just need a tube the length of the dispstick to pickup fluid then another tube beside it that can be shorter for the fluid to return. I will take pictures or find some in my old Paxton catalog to post.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Speedy
    Never enough

Thats an electric pump used to pump the fluid in and out of the trans cooler?

Yes a electric pump and you can get one at parts store for under $30 for a low pressure carb.(5-8psi)

You got to run a relay with that electric pump?

Not really it only pulls 3-5 amps

Junior SCH Member
    i have disassembled my sc and drilled and tapped a hole on the bottom and one on the side of the body. i tapped them to allow me to thread a pipe thread nipple into them. this is a more perminent method. i didn't like not being able to check the fluid level.and there is no chance the tubes will come out of the dipstick tube.