Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P1SC PCV question

Thanks a heap don, I'm going to give this one a whirl here in a couple weeks.
    90 strawberry coupe

No problem, glad I could help. Like I said, it is well worth it and you will see when you get the part what I am talking about. It's hard to see how it will fit, but it does as long as you buy the grommet for that PCV and place it in the factory one. You will end up with 2 grommets and a supra PCV.

Another thing I did too... I have a breather on my valve cover that I didn't want a lean condition coming from and DEFINITLY didn't want oil splatter and smoke coming from. As we all know, these are common things with blown Mustangs and a breather on the oil fill. What I did was take a small shutoff valve from Home Depot's pluming section and turn it into sort of a restrictor. It is a brass piece with threads on either end and a thin metal T as the valve that you turn to either open or close it. All I did was cut the line that goes to the PCV and put this inline with it to control vacuum to the PCV. The PCV hose fits perfectly right over the threads and you just clamp it on. This part is tedious and took time, but when you don't have a valve, you will notice that when the valve is fully open (or there is no valve) and you take the oil fill cap/filler filter off and put your palm on the neck as to seal it (assuming you have the vent nipple capped), you will notice that there is quite a vacuum there. This is fine when the stock setup is in place, but with boost, you don't want the PCV or the valve cover nipple getting boost, and you don't want a lean condition and/or smoke after being in boost by just throwing a breather on it. The valve is there to equalize the flow as good as possible. After trial and error, I would keep closing the valve little by little so that when the car sat at idle at normal operating temp, I could hold my hand on the valve cover fill (sealing it with the palm of my hand) for 30 seconds or so with no pressure build-up and no vacuum when you take your hand off. You can definitely see what I am talking about if you do this. It's a real hard balance to find, but once you get it right, it limits the vacuum at idle to ONLY take in blow by air from the bottom end and not any un-metered air from the valve cover neck. The reason I did this was because it is a far superior design to ATI's answer to the PCV issue even though theirs works just fine. On their setup, it simply vents blow-by out of the PCV and under vacuum conditions, it does take in the little idle blowby there is, but also just sucks in un-filtered, un-metered air. It works, but this other way is the best way because of the reasons above.

If that explanation was confusing at all, let me know, it kinda' confused me as I wrote it! It's hard to explain, but again, if you want, I can try to take a pic if you would like.
    Last edited by WA2FAST; 11-05-2003 at 08:19 AM.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net