Thread: belt slipping and moving

Junior SCH Member

belt slipping and moving

Hello - I hope that you can help me!

I'm living in Switzerland. Last week I runed first time my '96 Mustang Cobra with the V2-SQ /w aftercooler. I replaced the 3.6" charger-pulley and used the new 3.25" that was included in the vortech aftercooler-package.

So - after 150 miles - the belt moved over one groove on the charger-pulley (to the front of the car) and it moved over two grooves on the water-pump-pulley.

I checked the alignment of the pulleys - but it seems to be o.k.

What can I do?

Thanks Mike

Junior SCH Member
    Was the belt fine BEFORE the pulleys switched?

It sounds like the blower is cocked and making the belt walk.
    2V-502rwhp~422rwtq(s-trim,3.33 pulley wpowerpipe and pump gas) 8/19/03
    NMRA M/M#7269
    best 18 7.54 @ 97.5
    best 14 11.60 @ 122 @BG 9283 (both on et streets)
    3690 race weight
    Pics: www.public.fotki.com/white99gt/my_car

Junior SCH Member
    I switched directly to the smaller pulley.

Senior SCH Member
    Double check the alignment of the pulleys w/a straight edge of some kind...If they r ok, then it is plate flex...Vortech has a race version of the mounting plate(thicker)..or u could install a turn buckle brace from blower to throttle body..and there is a # of commercial braces for stabalizing blower...

Mine did that when I missed a shift and over reved it.
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

SCH Member

re belt alignment

yo; 96 cobra's have a problem with there tensioner bracket witch causes the belt to jump and even come off,you have to go to ford and ask for the service replacement part for your car it comes with tensioner,tensioner pullie this is a steel peice,it may even come with the belt,don not ask for a replacement one as they will give the same you have know.so remember service replacement part this should fix your problem.