Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Backfire at low rpm - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backfire at low rpm

Originally posted by apv-stang
    i had the exact same problem with my car

my problem was the C&L-how much space do you have form the mass air to the supercharger

C&L's like about 8 inches of space to work right

also did yours come with the electronics or did you have to use the stock electronics on the new meter-had bad feeling about that

i could never get my C&L to work right so i traded a friend for his granateli-and it solved all of my problems

but that was me
    I am using the inlet tube that paxton sent with the kit for the mass air sensor.

My C&L did not come with electronics. I reused the stock electronics off of the stock sensor. I purchased a sample tube from summit for 30lb injectors.

I have heard of people having trouble with C&L's I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you
    Paxton Supercharged - Novi 1000, Edelbrock Performer Heads, GT40 Intake, E303 Cam,30lb/hr injectors, C&L 73 Mass Air Meter, 190lt/hr Fuel Pump, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, World Class T5, Pro-5.0 Shifter and BBK Shorties.

Sorry to jump in so late on this one but the last post I read said that you are using the Paxton supplied tubing for your mass air meter. Does this mean your meter is pretty much sitting right next to the head unit of the blower? My car ran like yours does when my 73mm C&L was next to the head unit. I threw on a powerpipe and it fixed the problem. BTW I did put the stock meter on before I used the powerpipe to make sure that was the problem. But like everybody else, this is what fixed my problem, not sure if it will fix yours. ;)

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

Ditto. Not to make you spend money but my C&L wouldn't idle till i put my meter in the fender and clock'd it so to speak.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Originally posted by Chris_H
    Sorry to jump in so late on this one but the last post I read said that you are using the Paxton supplied tubing for your mass air meter. Does this mean your meter is pretty much sitting right next to the head unit of the blower? My car ran like yours does when my 73mm C&L was next to the head unit. I threw on a powerpipe and it fixed the problem. BTW I did put the stock meter on before I used the powerpipe to make sure that was the problem. But like everybody else, this is what fixed my problem, not sure if it will fix yours. ;)

Chris

Yes chris, the meter is sitting RIGHT beside the head unit. I am using the black filter cover that covers the filter to prevent fan wash.

Maybe i need to purchase a pro-m meter.

Uhh, that power pipe. Does it put the mass air meter thru that 3 or 4" hole in the fender. I cant go thru the hole where the STOCK air filter was. I have my MSD box mounter inside there.

I am greatful that you all are helping this matter.

This is a quote from pro-m's website. I think its interesting. I am gonna try it this weekend. Here goes........

If you have a turbo or a super-charged system the crankcase vent tube must be enlarged (5/8 " to ¾ ") and plumbed between the mass air flow sensor and the inlet of the super charger/turbo.

Thanks.....
    Last edited by 5.02GO; 11-06-2003 at 07:35 AM.
    Paxton Supercharged - Novi 1000, Edelbrock Performer Heads, GT40 Intake, E303 Cam,30lb/hr injectors, C&L 73 Mass Air Meter, 190lt/hr Fuel Pump, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, World Class T5, Pro-5.0 Shifter and BBK Shorties.

You can make the C&L work it just takes a little patience. Try clocking the flowtube to the inside most egde of the stock paxton pipe. i just run breathers. i don't run pcv. everybody will have thier own take on this subject. Mine is that oil causes detonation. Check out Morpheus.com
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Originally posted by regattacoupe
    You can make the C&L work it just takes a little patience. Try clocking the flowtube to the inside most egde of the stock paxton pipe. i just run breathers. i don't run pcv. everybody will have thier own take on this subject. Mine is that oil causes detonation. Check out Morpheus.com

I will........

Thanks for the help:D

UPDATE!

I have fixed the backfiring.

I took the mass air meter apart and discovered that one of the "elements" was black. It was covered with oil from the K&N air filter that i had on it. I took some alchohal and cleaned them both. There was only one element that had fluid on it. It was the one in the back (with the black electronic installed upright).

The backfires are GONE. The car runs sooo good now. It even sounds better.

I ALSO WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!

I still have a bug or two. But believe i will be able to work them out tomorrow.

Heres a pic of what i saw. You can hardly see it, but its darker than the other element.

Last edited by 5.02GO; 11-10-2003 at 11:56 AM.