Thread: Novi GSS Output Shaft

Junior SCH Member

Novi GSS Output Shaft

I traded some parts for a Novi GSS that "needed a bearing or two." When I took it apart to find the problem bearing I found that the bearings were good but the output shaft was galled. How does this happen? What should I expect to pay for a new shaft and ball drive? I have tried contacting Paradise Wheels but haven't received a response yet.

I have attached a picture of the damaged shaft.

Also, where can I find the specs for this particular supercharger? I'm curious as to what type of boost (I assume 5-6psi) and air flow to expect.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    The shaft is $125? and the Balls are $150?. It is hard for me to remember and I am at work but that should be close. The unit was over spinning and caused the unit to lock up. If you check the balls they are probably ok but just check them for flat spots by using a caliper to make sure. 6psi should be about max. with the stock impeller. How bad is the brass seperator on the pulley shaft. What condition is the two races that the balls sit in to make it a huge bearing. If you take good pictures I can help you decide what needs replaced so when Craig calls you back from Paradise Wheels.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply. I did check each of the balls for any noticeable wear and could not find any. I checked them with a micrometer in several places and they come out just over 1" and don't have any flat spots. I can get the exact measurement after work. The outer races apear to be fine but I did notice that one has a VERY small mark in it from some debris. The knick is barely noticeable when I run my fingernail over it and is very smooth. I'm not sure I could even get a picture of the knick with my camera.

What sized crank pulley should this setup be running. It has the stock pulley on the head unit but I haven't measured it.

Thanks again.

Stock is like 6"-6.5" and that will give you 5psi and a 7" will put you usually at a solid 7psi.

Originally posted by speedytang
    Stock is like 6"-6.5" and that will give you 5psi and a 7" will put you usually at a solid 7psi.

When i had mine on, I would get about 6-7psi. The picture of that shaft looks very familiar. Mine went out last year. Luckily i didnt have to buy one. A friend of mine made one for me. One of the races chipped earlier this year. I ordered a new parts kit. I went ahead and installed the NEW shaft that came from the kit. It also chipped 3 months later. Said the hell with it and order a novi 1000.
    Paxton Supercharged - Novi 1000, Edelbrock Performer Heads, GT40 Intake, E303 Cam,30lb/hr injectors, C&L 73 Mass Air Meter, 190lt/hr Fuel Pump, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, World Class T5, Pro-5.0 Shifter and BBK Shorties.

If the supercharger is on the car will it make a different sound if something is wrong with shaft?

Well if the shaft has a flat spot you can tell with it off the car without even taking it apart. The unit will not be smooth and will jam till it gets past the bad spot or it will even cause the impeller to hit the casing because a bad spot will cause the blade to be at a angle. Check it before putting a belt on because a simple fix just got expensive if the impeller grinds into the casing.