Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Strength of a Sportsman block??

Thread: Strength of a Sportsman block??

Strength of a Sportsman block??

I'm trying to piece together the engine that I want to drop into my '89 but I'm still undecided on the block. I'm shooting for 500rwhp (h/c/i + 15 psi from the NOVI) and that much power through my stock block makes me weary. Is the Sportsman block that much stronger than my stock block? Should I think about a Dart or R block and be done with it?

I would hate to spend mucho $$ for forged internals, not to mention the all of the time assembling everything, and then have the block be my weak point. I'm also worried that one day I might step up from the 1K to the 2K which would be that much more power through the block.

So would a Sportsman block handle my needs? Would it handle the power if I switched to a Novi 2K down the road? Should I invest in a much stronger block now to set my mind at ease incase I would ever make the jump from 1K to 2K?

I don't anticipate buying anything until spring (tax return :) ) so I have a while to ponder this decision....any help would be appreciated!
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

Dan, I feel like putting anything other the stock internals with good bolts in a stock block is kinda like polising a turd. I just don't see the point.

I've had the same delima you have.

So here's what I've decided. Unless I go with an r block, it will be stock shortblocs with forged pistons, or step up to an older big windsor. They will handel up to 600rwhp reliably, hold head gaskets better, and can be stroked to make some crazy cubic inch torque.

so if you are wanting to make that much power with smaller cubes, I would really think about an rblock. I myself, can't afford one, or don't want to afford one.

I think the small sportsman is week.
    90 strawberry coupe

Another thumbs down for the Sportsman, for about the same money you'd be better off locating a serviceable Boss block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    Well I'm one of the few believers in the B50 sportsman 302 block. I've been running a B50 block for 2.5 years now making 550+rwhp through it without any problems. My motor is still a 302 and I am still using my stock 75K mile crankshaft, with decent rods and good pistons. I plan on reusing this block for a 347 buildup with a girdle as well. Back when I bought this block (before many people knew about it) there was not a girdle available for it, so I'm running girdle-less right now. If I can afford a Dart block I would do that route but I just don't have that kind of money so I will reuse this B50 block. IMO...if the block is filled with a good balanced assembly and the shortblock is balanced well, and with a good tune...it will last a long time.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator
    http://www.stangtuning.com

I am also running the B50 Sportsman with a girdle. So far it has held up to everything I have thrown at it. I obtained the block from a friend who was running it behind a turbo, so it has definitely held up to some power. I agree 100% with troy. If you use good internals, balance it right, and keep a good safe tune it will last a long time.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage