Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How does the Ebrock 6037 head compare to an AFR 165 or others......

Thread: How does the Ebrock 6037 head compare to an AFR 165 or others......

How does the Ebrock 6037 head compare to an AFR 165 or others......

say maybe Twisted Wedges? No I don't want to search lol just need some unbiased opinions. Dont answer lol with an AFR owns type of post. I am looking for numbers.

Some of you may remember my evaluate my combo thread from a few weeks ago and now my plans may possibly change again.

I now have the opportunity to get edelbrock parts at wholesale pricing through a job connection I have. The only two companys these people deal with that have heads are World Products and Edelbrock.

I would be most enterested in the 6037s since they would mary right up to my combo and valvetrain. I would sell my trickflow intake and my p heads to help buy the 6037s and an RPM II intake.

So how do these heads rank in line with with the other big hitting aluminum head brands?
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Edelbrocks are GOOD!!

If you look over at www.stangcrazy.com a couple of the NMRA Real Street cars are running them and doing awesome. Chris Tuten set the record with some of the RPM versions and Sharad went 10.15 on the fifth pass on the heads. Sharad was even using the old castings and a P1SC-2. I would say go with them. I used to have them (6037s) on my last Mustang and still kick myself for letting those get away. Just my $.02
    Mike
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

The 6037's are a nice head Steve, the quality is excellant. I had an old pair and they served me well but finally replaced them with TFS's shortly after I installed the blower as I had them milled to about 54cc chambers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

The Edelbrocks are very good heads and if you can get a deal on them I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing them. They won't make power to the level a set of AFR 165's do straight out of the box, but it doesn't mean you can't port them to flow better. The only other signifigant difference between them is the AFR's have a thicker deck making them more reilable for sealing in blown applications. So depending on what kind of deal you get on them(Typically 6037's are advertised for $1000 US assembled) them I'd say go for it.

How's that for an unbiased AFR owner opinion?

Also..what are your goals and intentions with the car. How do you plan to use it.

Street /strip driven around 200 miles a week on the street and about 60 passes a year at the track.

I think my cost on these heads will be in the 700 range.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Um for $700 steve ya can't beat that deal. Hell you could buy a few sets and re-sell them for a bit of a profit, surprised you haven't done so already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Originally posted by 468LC
    Street /strip driven around 200 miles a week on the street and about 60 passes a year at the track.

I think my cost on these heads will be in the 700 range.
    For $700, I'd say grab them. IMO you may want to rethink going with the RPM II. The RPM II is designed more for high winding engines with heads that breath pretty deeply such as 6037's with a fair amount of port work. Since you drive your car a fair amount on street, the Performer RPM might be a better choice as it makes stronger power and torque below 5000 rpm which in turn makes the car mor enjoyable to drive. Anderson Motorsport did a dyno test of this intake compared to the RPM on a deep breathing N/A combo in the November 2003 issue of MM&FF. He pointed out that if you are using the stock rev limiter (6200rpm) you will never need an RPM II.

Just some food for thought.

Steve,

I too had these heads(6037) once.

They were great.

One simple thing about them tho that made them that much better than others, that Edelbrock puts helicoils in all the bolt holes, something I wish my AFR's had.

I was very pleased with them, I had ZERO problems.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

I didn't know about the helicoils chuck. I like the sounds of that.

I'll take your advise Hawk since the regular RPM is even cheaper.:)

The 60379's make sick power. I made 524 rwhp through the aod with mine. My buddy made 502 rwhp with a stock cam, 30# injectors, and the stock s-trim pullies. A few guys here have run mid to low 10's with them right out of the box.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Hi,

I concur with the other remarks about the Edelbrocks. The quality is awesome, and they do make power. I was able to reach 546 RWHP with mine, out of the box, no porting or any mods done to them.

If I remember correctly, the 'old' Ed's flow about 225 on the intake, and about 170 on the exhaust, which is actually kinda weak by today's standards against like TFS TW, AFR's, Brodix, etc, but still, they do make power. I'm guessing maybe it's because while they dont have killer intake flow #'s, they have a 75% in to ex flow ratio, which I think works well for a boosted motor.

I believe the 'new' Eds flow more like 250 on the intake, and are probably more in line with the rest of the street heads out there now. If you can get the new Eds for 700 clams, I'd say go for it.

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    1988 Mustang LX Vortech Supercharged
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ
    Yippie-kiyah Muthafuka! - Bruce Willis, Die Hard

Remember...peak air flow numbers do not equal big power...it's the overall design of the head. The recent ongoing cylinder head testing articles in MM&FF prove that the head that flows the most isn't the biggest power maker.

I hear ya there Hawk, I was just illustrating that the Ed's make power despite not having killer flow numbers. I think it's just that they are a well balanced head. I also think the low lift flow numbers are really good if I remember right, and that that is as important (if not more so on a street car with around .500" lift cams) as peak flow numbers. I also think the flow velocity of the Ed's intake ports are really good too, and help to pack the cylinders with air, which a large head might not do as well, even with a blower pushing the air. All these these things are probably what add up to make the Ed's the great heads that they are. Are there better heads out there that will make more power? Absolutely. But for what I think 468LC is looking for, the Ed's will work well for him, and if he can get a great deal on them to boot, then it's really starting to look like a slam dunk in favor of the Ed's.

Jim
    1988 Mustang LX Vortech Supercharged
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ
    Yippie-kiyah Muthafuka! - Bruce Willis, Die Hard

Thanks for the further details Jim.