Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anyone make a custom intercooler for a Fox body?

Thread: Anyone make a custom intercooler for a Fox body?

Anyone make a custom intercooler for a Fox body?

Have any pics of this being done? There should eb rood up front for a air to air but how to you plum it on an s-trim?
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

I've heard of guys that put a straight discharge on the pass side blower, angle it down and the rest is fab work. I don't think it would be a very big deal.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Pics?
    Mike

89 Notchback:
    A4 349 Eagle rotating assembly, AFR205's SMR, Victor 5.0, Tremec TKO, 6Pt cage, Novi 2000, AEM Meth injection, AEM stand alone, PPG Harlequin paint, Green to Purple, HKS Race Bypass, Turbo coupe Rear swap, 73MM front calipers.:teeth:

Mike, when you find pics, let me know. I've looked for em for about 6 months now. lol.

I don't think the benefits would be the worth the loss in boost. I've done alot of research on this. Feel free to pm me. :)
    90 strawberry coupe

Originally posted by UNTCHBL
    Mike, when you find pics, let me know. I've looked for em for about 6 months now. lol.

I don't think the benefits would be the worth the loss in boost. I've done alot of research on this. Feel free to pm me. :)
    Why do you feel that way? I figure I could put a smaller pulley on and remake the lost boost. I have seen a pic a few months ago but I can find where I put it. I'll keep looking. How many PSI are you running?
    Mike

89 Notchback:

my car made 13-15 #'s with the stock pullies when it was together. Just depended on how tight I got the belt, and how much I spun the motor. The car was basically stock when it came to the motor.

I'm hoping for somthing similar out of my coupe. This one will be 100% stock with exhaust and thats it.

With the ic I think by the time you up the boost to regain what you lost and get the timing right, you will be right around the same amount of power that you would make without the ic. To me, it just seems that the ic is to big of a cork to be worht anything. does this make since?
    90 strawberry coupe

Banned by Admin
    Mike, I found a mock-up V-6 setup, and a in car pic, maybe it'll help you with ideas, I was considering an air-to-air intercooler setup for my s-trim someday.

Last edited by 5LVENOM; 11-19-2003 at 09:34 PM.

thats about what I was thinking for a fox. Only instead useing a straight discharge volute, and pointing it downward. After this just bend up some pipe, and wa la.
    90 strawberry coupe

SCH Moderator
    Originally posted by UNTCHBL

With the ic I think by the time you up the boost to regain what you lost and get the timing right, you will be right around the same amount of power that you would make without the ic. To me, it just seems that the ic is to big of a cork to be worht anything. does this make since?
    Nope, sorry but it doesn't make sense and in fact is wrong. Intercooled boost makes more power pound for pound over non intercooled boost and that is a well known fact. You only have around a 2 pound differential between the inlet and outlet side of a correctly sized intercooler and this can easily be made up with a smaller driven pulley. The cooler intake air charge also allows you to run higher boost with the same amount of timing that you had before the intercooler. This basically means that you can run higher boost with more timing and using the same pump gas. As an example, the difference in intake temperatures between intercooled and non intercooled are in range of 110 degrees compared to 280 degrees. Intercooling works. The only drawback I am able to see is the increased weight on the front of the car.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

dammit john, let me talk myself out of it. lol.

You are the first one to make sense of this john. Thank you.
    90 strawberry coupe

Originally posted by John91coupe
    Nope, sorry but it doesn't make sense and in fact is wrong. Intercooled boost makes more power pound for pound over non intercooled boost and that is a well known fact. You only have around a 2 pound differential between the inlet and outlet side of a correctly sized intercooler and this can easily be made up with a smaller driven pulley. The cooler intake air charge also allows you to run higher boost with the same amount of timing that you had before the intercooler. This basically means that you can run higher boost with more timing and using the same pump gas. As an example, the difference in intake temperatures between intercooled and non intercooled are in range of 110 degrees compared to 280 degrees. Intercooling works. The only drawback I am able to see is the increased weight on the front of the car.
    Wow does it really get to almost 300*! Dammm! inter cooler here I come.

Everyone makes inter cooler piping out of metal and I understand thats so it does not balloon but what about high pressure rubber hose, it won't stretch.
    Mike

89 Notchback:

SCH Moderator
    I wouldn't try to make the whole tubing system out of rubber tubing, plus I don't know of any rubber tubing in the long lengths that would be required. Short pieces of rubber tubing at elbows or junctions between sections of metal tubing are typical on most setups and this rubber tubing is readily available. I did my tubing in aluminum to keep the weight down.

Yes, upwards of 275 degrees in non intercooled applications is not uncommon. It depends on how high the boost is and how efficient the blower is at that boost level. Some systems, like the Kenny Bells, can run over 300 degrees at higher boost levels.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/