Thread: What would an S-Trim do on a 351C

Junior SCH Member

What would an S-Trim do on a 351C

Hello-

I am trying to find a unit that I can adapt to my 351C (for which there is no kit) carburated application. I was looking at a SN series Paxton, but I am slowly coming to the realization that a) I dont have enough room, and b) they arent the picture of reliability.

I am looking at Vortech now, and to be perfectly honest, I dont know what I am doing. I need to choose a model. It needs to be standard rotation, with a passneger facing outlet (or curved... actually curved works better). I wish there was a self contained unit, but such is life.

What unit is going to give me between 5-7 PSI without having to run the thing ragged? What kind of CFM should I be looking for?

Banned by Admin
    I think paxton has a novi 2k kit for carb setups, that 351 would be a monster.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by 5LVENOM
    I think paxton has a novi 2k kit for carb setups, that 351 would be a monster.
    NOT made for my engine though. Nobody makes a kit for a 351C :)

an s-trim or a novi 2000 would feed that just fine.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Hi,

When people ask 'what blower should I use?', I always ask them, 'how much HP do you want to make?', then go from there. So, how much HP do you want to make :)?

Also, what's the rest of the combo? Is it a carb deal, or are you going FI? Why only 5-7 PSI, how much compression does the 351C motor have? What cam? How high do you want to spin it? Are you using 2 barrel or 4 barrel heads? That kind of info will help to be able to make a good recommendation for you.

One last thought about the basic, physical aspects of the blower, where/how do you plan on mounting it to the motor? Driver's side or passenger side? Do you plan on mounting it like a 'normal' S-trim 87-93 Mustang kit on the passenger side, or maybe lower on the motor somewhere? That will probably dictate whether you get a straight discharge or a curved one.

BTW, I'm guessing that you are putting this into a 87-93 Fox body Mustang?

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    1988 Mustang LX Vortech Supercharged
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ
    Yippie-kiyah Muthafuka! - Bruce Willis, Die Hard

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Racer LX
    Hi,

When people ask 'what blower should I use?', I always ask them, 'how much HP do you want to make?', then go from there. So, how much HP do you want to make :)?

Also, what's the rest of the combo? Is it a carb deal, or are you going FI? Why only 5-7 PSI, how much compression does the 351C motor have? What cam? How high do you want to spin it? Are you using 2 barrel or 4 barrel heads? That kind of info will help to be able to make a good recommendation for you.

One last thought about the basic, physical aspects of the blower, where/how do you plan on mounting it to the motor? Driver's side or passenger side? Do you plan on mounting it like a 'normal' S-trim 87-93 Mustang kit on the passenger side, or maybe lower on the motor somewhere? That will probably dictate whether you get a straight discharge or a curved one.

BTW, I'm guessing that you are putting this into a 87-93 Fox body Mustang?

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    Good points. I have posted this question numerous places, but some places I didnt put all the details.

Here are the details

3300 pound car

351C 2V heads, Xcellerator intake, Demon carb, 224/234 @ .050 .536/.562 camshaft, Art Carr AOD 2500 stall, 3.89 posi, 8.75:1 compression.

I was staying conservative on the boost because a) pump gas, b) stock shortblock, c) simplicity of setup, d) Was told I could only run 8 PSI max before I needed higher octane gas and intercooler. By all means... tell me if I am wrong. I will run as much boost as is safe on pump gas, without an intercooler, on cast innards.

I am not opposed to buying more blower than I need (for future upgrades), assuming I can use the extra later with the only change being made being rebuilding with forged guts.

I want whatever power it will put out at a safe boost level. Realiztically, I was thinking I would have between 475 and 500 at the crank, but I am not SHOOTING for a specific level. The rest of my drivetrain is prepped for it. This isnt a race car. It sees 7000 street miles annually, and has yet to see the track. It will see the track though, on occassion, next spring.

Driver side mounting, cause that is where I got space. I am fabricating damn near all of it, so I am open to either curved or straight. I am using a carburetor enclosure (already constructed). I have yet to locate where I will have the inlet on it.

This would be my first shot at supercharging and tuning supercharged engines. I wanted to be conservative on my first time out. :)
    Last edited by bluwhale; 11-18-2003 at 12:29 PM.

Well the bracket would be a 100% fab job if i'm not mistaken. I wonder how close the windsor moutning points are to get you started in the right direction? are you familiar with blow through fuel system requirements? you'll be fine -w- 5-7 lbs of boost as long as you have enough fuel and you keep your timing around 22-24 total for pump gas. As long as you have enough fuel for the extra air, timing and spark in general dictates how much boost you can run on pump gas. An s-trim or a novi 1200 would get you by. However a Novi 2000 or the YS-Trim would be as much as you'll reallisticly need. I don't know if you bought the vortech or paxton kit are to clevelands that you could modify the bracket.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Junior SCH Member
    I was thinking about using the blower PLATE and fabbing the mount from there, but yeah, total fabrication.

I talked to Paxton last night and they suggested the Novi 1200 or the 2000 as well. The Novi 1200 will get me what i want now without having to spin it apart. The 2000 would allow me to grow later, jsut like you said. Problem is... I really HATE the noise. I dont mind some blower whine, but the teeth grinding rattle that the Vortechs and Prochargers (and Paxtons as far as I know) put off makes my ears bleed. I was hoping to get the SQ, but I dont think its gonna be enough.

the paxtons have a nice whistle btw. they have helical cut gears like the SQ. with teh hood open any blower will be a little loud but i think mine is just right. you can barely hear it over the exhaust @ 2000 rpms.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by regattacoupe
    the paxtons have a nice whistle btw. they have helical cut gears like the SQ. with teh hood open any blower will be a little loud but i think mine is just right. you can barely hear it over the exhaust @ 2000 rpms.
    Good thing seeing as I just bought one

did you get a Novi 2000?

Junior SCH Member
    Yep, should be here Friday.

Now i just gotta make it fit

Junior SCH Member
    This is a very interesting setup you have going here. Be sure to get some pics up and keep us updated on the project...

And what kind of car is this all going in??

You could run water injection if you need to cool the air intake temp, this way you dont need an intercooler.
    95GT 5 Spd 75k on body, 6k on motor.

GT40 crate motor...GT40x heads, b cam, 1.72 rockers, Typhoon mani, 24# injectors, shorty headers, 3.90's, Auburn Pro, 31 spline axles, TwEECer and all the bolt ons, Nitto DR's.

Best ET: 1/8 - 8.122 @ 84.38 1/4 - 12.74 @ 107.09 1.705 60ft Some tuning yet to do

Best MPH: 1/8 - 8.370 @ 87.34 1/4 - 12.940 @ 109.99 2.023 60ft - Run made with skinnies

up next: s-trim or turbo

Junior SCH Member
    I am thinking.... a fresh air intake. I have the perfect spot to put it, and it will blend with the car.

1970 Mustang. 351C. Can you say YUMMY?!

I wont be running a ton of boost. I should be fine.

I already have a carb enclosure fabricated (although I dont like it... I want something else now), and all that is needed is brackets and an inlet pipe.

I wanna see how this turns out as well. I love these kinds of projects. 5-7 lbs of boost should rock with cleveland heads even if they are 2V.