Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Change out Crank or Blower pulley?

Thread: Change out Crank or Blower pulley?

Senior SCH Member

Change out Crank or Blower pulley?

My first tech question on here, go easy on me ;)

The beginning on the year I plan on doing a pulley change do add more boost. I was reading that changing out the crank pulley the boost will come on faster. How true is that? Right now I'm seeing 9psi and looking for the 12-14 range. Can I use the stock vortech pulley (3.33) and use a 8inch crank pulley and see 12-14psi? Or should I just change out the blower pulley to something like a 3.00 oir 2.95?

Also what place could I buy the crank pulley if I decide to go that route? I know vortechs sells them, but they are like $190 there, anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks, Brandon
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

a 3.00/2.95 head unit pulley swap should get you about 12 lbs of boost. going any smaller on the head unit will reduce the surface area that the belt can grip causing belt slip. i have read alot of users going to a reichard racing pulley which is slotted for improved grip. i switched over to a renegade setup which has a improved traction profile.it is a 8 rib 3.15/8.0 setup with an accessory underdrive crank pulley. i see about 15 lbs @ 5800 rpm. it was about $200 from vortech. i also switched to a cobra w/pump pulley and a shorter accessory belt because of clearance issues, for about $40. the boost will come in sooner and it is sure to put a smile on your face.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Change the crank pulley. It will yield more boost, the boost will come on earlier, and you will have less belt slip up top which will keep the boost constant. I would email Spence@rhodescustomauto.com for a price on the pulley. He has some of the best prices and service around.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Banned by Admin
    Changing the crank pulley will overspin the accessories, changing the headunit pulley will void the warranty, if you have one. I will be putting on an ASP 2.95 pulley (59bucks) soon.

How is changing the crank going to over spin the accessories when the crank is underdriven on the accessory side? It is actually going to slow them down.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

My Homepage

Banned by Admin
    I didn't know they made larger crank pulleys with an underdriven acc. side.? Maybe I'll do that and not void my warranty. I'm not too crazy about the prices of the vortech pullies though, I'll see if ASP makes one.

Senior SCH Member
    thanks RdRunnr - I'll give him an email
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67

If I remember correctly the ASP crank was actually more expensive then the Vortech one. I know ASP is usually a lot cheaper. A couple of thing thoughs, you may have to run a cobra waterpump pulley with the larger crank due to clearance issues. This pulley is a lot smaller then stock and is nice because it spins the waterpump faster which makes up for the underdrive. It helps keep the car cooler. Here is a comparision between the two. It costs about $20 for the pulley from ford or $25 online. Also, I have to run a belt that is almost 2" shorter then stock when combining the underdrive crank and the smog and ac eliminators. I believe stock is 90.5" and I am running 88.7". I know it sounds like a pita, but it's worth it not to void your warranty and it works a lot better up top then with a smaller pulley that will slip a lot.

Last edited by RdRunnr; 11-17-2003 at 08:25 AM.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    well I'm not to worry about warranty since I bought it used. ;)

I did know about the cobra waterpump pulley