Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
8" crank pulley...I am confused

Thread: 8" crank pulley...I am confused

8" crank pulley...I am confused

Okay, here it goes. Just put on a 8 rib 1000 on my 89 and I am looking to go with the larger crank pulley for boost. What am I going to buy? Do I go to a junkyard? What year truck am I looking for? Also, the crank pulley measurement that I am getting is 7" on the one that came from paxton. Also, some threads are mentioning a 6.5" pulley? If someone would give me detailed instructions on what to go after I would appreciate it? I do have the 8 rib, that is something else that I didn't see anyone specify, are the f150's 8 rib or 6 rib or ???? Please pardon my ignorance on the subject, but I have read so many posts I am confused....thanks so much.

The old Novi 1000 used a single drive belt and thus used a 6rib belt. These are the guys using the F-150 pulley.
    Your seperate drive Novi will use the Vortech or ASP 8" crank, and will give you a gain of around 2-3lbs.
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

Thanks for helping out...any suggestions on where to get these pulleys? Thanks again.

Also, will I need a different size belt? Is this something I can get from a parts store or should I get it when I order the pulley....thanks.

You will need a new drive belt and a new blower belt. You can get them from a parts store.
    I think most people get there pulleys straight from Vortech, not positive.
    The blower belt if I recall correctly will be 59" and your accessories belt will vary on what all your running.
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

summit is cheaper than direct from vortech. probably faster as well.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

blown5oh
    I've got the new revised 1k kit too. I've inquired about the 8" crank pulley. I have the 3.25" blower pulley on currently, but was planning on throwing the 3" on once I up my injectors to 42's.

I was told that if I go w/ the 3" blower pulley and do the 8" crank pulley I will over-spin the 1k. Is this true?

They told me that I would get the extra 2-3psi from either application, but the safer one would be to go w/ the 8" crank and keep the 3.25" blower pulley.

Suggestions?

yes, the 3" blower pulley & 8" crank will put you at about 57k rpms when the max(safe) is 55k. the 3.25 blower & 8" crank will put you at about 53k. right about perfect IMO.......

-justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

blown5oh
    Thanks man!

SCH Member
    this is probalby a late post, but i'm looking for the same thing. an 8" pulley for the 2 belt novi. vortech has it for 191.95 and summit raised prices to 208.95
    s/c 331

are you gonna change the blower pulley as well?!?! WILL SOMEONE VOID THIER WARRANTY SO I KNOW WHAT THE 3.25 PULLEY DOES WITH THE 8" CRANK?!?!?!?! LOL
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

I will tell you what a 2.50 blower pulley and a 8" crank pulley on an s-trim can do! (my 93 cobra's new new head gaskets never had a chance...) Took her out for a test drive, didn't even hit 5000 rpm in second gear before I head the ping of death, and smell of antifreeze. Turns out I forgot to take that 2.50 blower pulley off of the supercharger and replace it. (that pulley came with the head unit I bought). I then switched to a 3.33" blower pulley, replaced new/basterdized headgaskets and went on :)

That 2.50 blower pulley was smaller than a standard mustang alternator pulley, if memory serves correct!

With stock heads and intake (gt40 / cobra) that freaker felt strong. I was suprised.
    Last edited by Goliath5.0; 11-15-2003 at 04:28 PM.
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

did you get a look at the boost gauge? ?!?!! LOL!

Didn't have one at the time, got one after the pulley change.
    I do wonder how much boost I was pushing with that combo, BTW it had a powerpipe too LoL!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at: