Thread: How to choose an intake

How to choose an intake

Someone please educate me on long runner intakes, like GT-40/Cobra intakes verses short runner intakes have on performance characteristics. From what I have been able to come up with is that the longer runner intakes perform better down low in the rpm range and shorter runner intake perform better up high in the RPM’s. Ultimately I would like to pick an intake for my car. I would like to leave my long block untouched and just add bolt-ons that would benefit me the most. What would be the best intake for a stock long block with an entry-level blower and supporting bolt-ons? I was thinking of the E-Brock performer or possibly the Trick Flow Street Heat intake…Any other suggestions???
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

I would go with either the Cobra/Explorer intake or the Trick flow Track heat. If you have plans to do heads and a cam in the near future, go for the Holley intake.

I dont mean to "highjack" this post but on a supercharged car woth good heads and cam ...will going from a Trick flow street heat...to a trick flow track heat or a system max on a supercharged car make a differance?......just wondering i polished the street heat upper(TONS of work).......hate to change it out if it wont make a differance

thanks

Mike
    http://mysite.verizon.net/mikeymustang/index.htm
    NEW BEST 9.66 @141.02 best mph 141.73 mph!
    AEM tuned by ME!

http://www.mikeymustang.com

Moveing up a size in intakes can make a big difference. All depends on how the flow of air goes thru the intake into the heads.

As far as the TFS street heat you can only go so large in the runners. After that, you'll end up loosing flow and all that money is wasted.

Intakes

A while back MM&FF did a blower series where they tested a bunch of different blower combos. (October 2002) In that issue they did a combo with a totally stock bottom end and the car only had a Vortech intake, 30lb injectors & mass air. Even had stock headers. It made 400 rwhp at the 5200 rpm shut off. Probably would have kept going but they feared the bottom end. This was a very long winded way to say that I think you should go with the Holley. I know people are getting ready to tell me about bottom end but with the blower I don't think that is really an issue. Course there is always the intake shootout on a NMRA real street car that and the Edelbrock Performer RPM dominated. So take it for what it's worth. I just really like the Holleys.
    Mike
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Senior SCH Member
    well I'm not really for sure on which on you should go with. I have no been with a SC very long since I have, i have used a Cobra intake. And tell you the truth I think it has ran pretty good for not even matching up with the heads. The Cobra is unported and I have ran my best of a 6.97@99mph in the 1/8.

I will be switching to a Holley Systemax2 intake, cause I got a good deal on it, but I will be cranking the boost up to at the same time. From what I have been told the Holley aren't good down low, thae shine up top. I don't know yet, only time will tell.
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter