Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Help with S-trim install problems!

Thread: Help with S-trim install problems!

Junior SCH Member

Help with S-trim install problems!

Hey guys,

new to the forum, and have spent the weekend putting on my v-2 sq s-trim on my 92 LX 5.0. Everything went really well, and instructions were pretty good. I am having the following few problems upon initial start-up test.

The return to tank line on my FMU is leaking gas at the fitting. Can this be fixed, or is it defective fitting?

The belt on my A/C compressor is slipping one rib towards the front of the car.

The blower seems to make this funny rock-crushing rattling sound while idling. I have read somewhere else this is actually normal, the sound of the internal gears?

I have not driven the car yet, as I want to correct the fuel leak and belt problem first, and call Vortech in the morning.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Make sure the FMU lines are not kinked. I had the same problem. My line had almost a 90degree bend in it and was leaking also. Don't want to drive it with any fuel leaks. I don't understand why your surpentene belt is slipping off unless one of the pulleys is out of line somewhere in the loop. And as far as the blower noise, it should be depending if you have a V1 or a V2 it should be a smooth gear wine. No grinding noises. Check those things and let us know what Vortech has to say and how things turn out.
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

My belt did the same thing when I first put it on. If you look at the nut the arrow is pointing at. I had to do a little trial and error but I got it just right. That nut would pull the tensioner back and forth. If you tighen the nut it would make the belt want to come a rib off toward the back on the A/C. If you loosen the nut it would make the belt come a rib off towards the front. I just had to find the right balance. I'm not sure if your setup is the same but that was what I had to do to mine. Hope that makes sence. Let us know.

Trey
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Senior SCH Member
    yup, i had the same issue with the belt as well. i had to shim that nut as posted above with a washer to keep my belt from walking.
    you can try using telflon tape or a proper thread sealer on the fmu. that sound is normal, mine makes a very odd sound at about 1500 and i have been told that is normal also.
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    I also had the problem. Nothing beats shreadding your belt on the way home from your high school graduation :D By LUCK, my friend deleted his smog pump, and I just happen to have his old belt in my car. Here I am in the ghetto, in my cap and gown, trying to change my belt. About 3 houses down the street was some large black guy install speakers in the trunk of his caddy. Man, what a day!

I can't help you out of the FMU part, becuase I will not be running one.
    **93 Calypso Green LX 5.0, 1 of 654**
    BBK Ceramic coated shorties, Stainless H-pipe, Flowmaster catback, underdrive pullies, and 3:55 gears!

**89 LX 5.0**
    Vortech S-Trim with AFM Powerpipe, Pro-M with 36lb injectors, Kirban AFPR, FMS ceramic coated headers, Hedman Offroad H-Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 3.73 gears, and a few gauges!

**90 LX 2.3**
    88hp of one wheel spinning fury. The best 835.79 spent so far!

Junior SCH Member

Thanks

Thanks for your quick and helpful responses. As of this evening, everything seems to be in order, with the exception of a faulty return line on my FMU, it leaks below the fitting. A local race shop will repair it for me tomorrow, I hope.

A quick adjustment on the idler pulley seemed to straighten things up immediately, thanks for the input -- the same thing vortech told my friend who did the install.

As for the sound, it's MIA today. It only ran for a few moments, until the fuel leak was confirmed after adding stp sealant. But, there was no noise other than a very cool whine.

Does anyone think this noise I heard was just some mechanical noise due to the fact it may not have been completely oiled until the engine ran for a bit?

Still haven't driven the car, the excitement is getting to me!

Thanks again,

Alan :)

Junior SCH Member
    You can fix that FMU line yourself. Just cut off the fitting, take some snips and cut away the crimped collar and you will see a hose barb fitting underneath the old crimped collar. Slide the hose onto the barbed fitting and install a new clamp around the hose. Good as new...
    1995 Cobra on jack stands w/ parts all around.