Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
milling down stock pulley
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: milling down stock pulley

Senior SCH Member

milling down stock pulley

anyone ever had there stcok pulley milled down to 2.75". the machinist where i work at said he could do it for me. i don't have the pulley off yet to do any measurements on it but do you think there will be enough material on it to turn it down? he said that he wanted charge me anything to do it. be pretty nice to get a 2.75" pulley for free.

i say got for it. ive been into machining for over 13 years. you need to check the id of the pulley before turning it. im sure your friend would do this anyways. you need to check to see if it is solid or it is recessed inside. if it is recessed this recess needs measured to be sure the wall wont be too thin once turned down. the process is actually easy, the grooves can be returned with a single point thread insert & the larger outer lips can be turned down incrementally with the grooves with just about any turning type tool......if all measures safely then do it, why not? as long as your sure thats the o.d. you want! theres nothing like somthing for nothing =)

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    i took a pulley to him for the alternator as a reference to look at. he said it would be farely easy for him to do. he found a tool to use to re-cut the grooves. the only thing that he might have problems with is if the inside hole where it fits on the blower is tapered. anyone know if it is?

not sure offhand. even so, he could make a tapered jig to fit it thats threaded on the end to hold the pulley on the jig. before the taper can be an even round surface that he can chuck into a collet...........i imagine the hole would be straight with a key way that holds it in place, but im not 100% on that.......
    good luck man, keep us posted!

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    i wanted to get it off today but didn't wake up in time to do it before i had to go back into work. i'll probably get it off this weekend and get it in to him next week.

Senior SCH Member
    well i got the stock pulley off today. i'm going to take in with me tonight and get him to mill it down for me. if there is room i'm going to have him cut it down to 2.5":D that'll put me at about 54600 rpms on the impellar. just barely under the limit on it. we'll see i guess. either way it at least looks like i can go down to 2.75"

if ya get a chance take a pic of it, i may be posting too late for you to get a before & after, but at least get a shot of it. id like to se what the i.d. of the pulley looks like.........

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    yep, too late for a before shot. i'm at work now. haven't seen the guy yet though. i hope like heck he is here tonight. if he gets it done tonight i'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow.

sounds good........whats the i.d. look like? is it just straight through round with a keyway or what?

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    yep, its just straight through. no taper at all and it has two grooves for keys. the guy evidently didn't make it in last night to do it. hopefully he'll be in tonight.

great thanx for the info todd. i wonder if its the same i.d. on my revised 1k blower pulley? i know the diameter is different but it has to be a similiar design. i like hearing the info youve shared so far & im curious to hear how you make out with the machining part of it. makes me want to turn my pulley down. ill give it a while till my warrenty runs out 1st..................thanx, keep us posted!

-justin

Senior SCH Member
    well it looks like the guy didn't make it in again tonight. he told me last week that he was going to be in over the weekend, kinda agravates me some but ohh well he's doing it for free. the i.d. of the pulley is 22mm. not for sure what trick he starts tomorrow night, i think midnight so hopefully i'll catch him then. can't wait to get this thing turned down. i just hope i have room to go down to 2.5". hopefully gain about 3psi then. how do you know my first name by the way?

LOL its on your home page :p

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    ohh, duh
    kinda had me stumped, thinking it was one of my friends or something

Senior SCH Member
    well i got it turned down. there is definately not enough room to go down to 2.5":( but i did get it turned to 2.75 :D and it didn't cost me a thing. i'll try and get some pics posted tomorrow after i wake up and get it mounted to let you guys know the difference. just goes to shows that it pays to have good friends. i tried paying him $20 for doing it but he didn't want any money, just said that one day he might need something. i told him i'll hook him right up with whatever it is.