Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
milling down stock pulley - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: milling down stock pulley

Part throttle surging at least in my experience has always been related to MAF signals.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    maybe i'll try to clock the maf alittle bit then and see if that helps. its in the same position as it was before rebuild though. i really haven't got a chance to spend a couple solid days since i rebuilt it to get all the new bugs worked out. hopefully over the next couple days i can get it running real good. what do you guys think i'll pull on the dyno with it now?

Senior SCH Member
    well no luck with a new belt. at least with the new belt i can hear it slipping. i wonder if its because the black oxide finish isn't on the pulley now that he cut it down. the grooves are in the same place and are of the same depth so thats not the problem. with the new belt i'm only seeing 1-2 psi where with the old belt i was at least seeing 5-6. not for sure what i will do now. might have to buy one of them from somewhere.

dude...

let me say ,to use a pulley that small you have to CRANK the belt down...i mean like a banjo string,thats the way we run them on the renegade cars....not real good for street use...also the coating helps w/ the bite alot..there is no way in hell you will get away with a 2.5 pulley!if you want a smaller pulley that will work get one from
    www.reichardracing.com and use a dayco belt...thats what weve had the best luck with...the pulleys are kinda pricey ,but the work,go to his site and check them out....tell him Dale from swillracing sent you!
    dale@swillracing

Senior SCH Member
    i've got the belt as about as tight as i would want to take it right now. i think i'm going to go to autozone in the morning and try a gatorback belt. hopefully that'll take care of it. if not i guess i'll have to buy a new 2.75" pulley. wonder if there is anything i can paint the pulley with that would be like the oxide finish to help it grab again?

Senior SCH Member
    all he did was cut grooves 90 degrees to the grooves for the belt all the way around. heck i'll just take the pulley back off and have the guy here at work to cut the grooves like he did.

What about a quick bead blast to the pulley surface?? That may help to take the smooth finish out some...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    never thought about blasting it. we have a pretty powerful sand blaster at work. i'll try it first and if that doesn't work i'll take it to my machinist and let him bead blast it. good suggestion 5150lx, thanks. maybe i'll do that and also have the guy at work cut the grooves in it like the reichard racing one.

Lemme know how it turn out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member
    i'm going to try and get it off tomorrow before i cone back into work. hopefully our sandblaster will make it rough enough. i still think i'm going to get a gatorback belt also. i've been reading nothing but good things about them helping belt slipping problems.

Senior SCH Member
    well i sanded the pulley down with a bead blaster. it had 120 grit in it. gave it a real rough finish. i decided not to try and cut the grooves in it like the reichard one. my luck i will have it all out of balance. i also shaved some of the grooves down. they were alittle bit taller than the way they were before. hopefully between bead blasting it and cutting the grooves down some it will be ok now. i'm going to still get a gatorback belt also. i'll let you guys know how it does probably monday or tuesday. hopefuly see a solid 10psi now.

Any Luck?
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

Senior SCH Member
    well after bead shooting it and getting a gatorback belt it doesn't slip anymore. i'm seeing 9si now. so i guess 2psi for free isn't bad, huh. i'm still getting some blowby though. i'm going to have to rig up a better catch can to help that problem i think. probably going to take the drivers side valve cover off and put a fitting on it to rig up another catch can on that side.

Senior SCH Member
    well it was good while it lasted. took it in town to get some pizza and was only getting 5lbs. is there anyway to tell if the belt is really slipping. i though about taking a permanent marker and marking all in the grooves to see if it wears off from the slipping. starting to think that its not a slipping problem though. i might just go ahead and order the 110 bosch bypass valve to see if thats it.

remove the bypass altogether just for a couple runs to see if you still have the boost problem (rubber caps hose clamped onto the 1" barb ends temporarily for testing). if so, order the better model, if not, then save your money & move to the next possibility.....if the bypass checks out fine then get some of the belt slip-aid dressing. ive seen some guys using it at the track with good results. if it helps, you know your problem, if not move to the next possibility.....process of elimination - start checking the free/cheap stuff untill you find the problem. just trying to throw some ideas out, hope this helps!

-justin