Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
A few tuning ?'s

Thread: A few tuning ?'s

Senior SCH Member

A few tuning ?'s

I just finally got all of my gauges in (oil, fuel, boost) all are mechanical. Before I put my guages in the car ran great and pulled extremely hard, but I could hear a little detonation, so I just let off the gas. This was my second time out on the car. I know the fuel pressure was way too high, it was set at 42lbs. I have not set the timing at all. Where should I start with the timing. The compression is 10:1. Where should I stat with the fuel pressure 38 or 40 lbs.

Thanks, Rusty

Senior SCH Member
    i just got done rebuilding mine with 10.1:1 compression also. except i used 60cc heads which brought the compression down to 9.85:1. i have my timing at 8 degrees right now and the fuel pressure is at 38 with no vaccum with 36lb injectors. i've laid into it a couple times now and haven't heard the slightest trace of detonation yet. i'm going to start incresing the timing alittle bit and see what happens . think i'll work my way to 10 and stop there if everything is ok.

SCH Member
    I would say with the higher compression and adding boost you won't be able to run advanced timing. i'd back it up 2deg, and work from there. may want to invest in an msd btm module. it'll pull off timing as you increase boost. its adjustable too. stock fuel pressure with vac line off I think is 38, so you'll want to be few #'s higher. i haven't installed by blower yet but my vortech friend is at 42#'s with vac line off.
    s/c 331

Couple more tips as well:

You need to run 1-2 steps cooler plugs and gap them down around .035-.038.

Definetely get a timing light on it, especially since most N/A guys are running 13-14 degrees with iron heads and even more with alum heads (not sure what your combo is). Pull the timing back to 10 & go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member
    It's me ( allthrottle) I'm at another location right now. My combo is stock rods, stock block, stock crank, gt40 upper&lower intake, 10:00 comp, box stock eldlebrock heads, E303, 42lbs injectors, pro-m 75 mm maf, morpheus powerpipe, 8in crank pulley, long tubes, 3in exhaust from the collectors all the way to the tail pipes, electric fan, adjustable fpr, tremec 3550. What do you guys think about JMS chips should I let them burn one form me or let a somewhat local shop burn one.

Thanks, Rusty

i'd have a local custom chip done for sure rather than mailorder. That way they run it on a dyno and ask you if you're happy.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D