Thread: Detonation

Junior SCH Member

Detonation

Don't know how many of you drive your cars in the cold/winter
    weather. I live in Illinois and ever since the weather has been cold my car has been detonating. I even added a bottle of octane booster ( 104+) and it still does it??? Any help, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

That's strange, from what I have experienced and seen, detonation is more likely to occur when it hot. The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head, is that the cooler air has resulted in an increase in boost and has pushed your tune past the threshold.

Have you noticed an increase in boost in the cooler air vs. what it normally put out in warmer weather?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Actually there is another variable that you guys are not taking into consideration. The coolant temp sensor or the air charge temp sensor may be malfunctioning. They will give the computer a false signal and it will pull out fuel under part throttle.

Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member

Thumbs down

I've been trying to narrow down the problem first thinking it was the octane rating (93) wasn't enough. So the car runs fine when you start the car and drive it while still cold (motor). I believe it
    detonates when the cars been running for a while (20 min.+).
    It doesn't do it all the time (but it's hard to tell since I'm not driving it hard all the time) it's usually when I want to get on it.
    Sometimes it does it other times it does not. The problem persist
    only under full throttle.

there is 2 things i can think of
    1 in the winter time our Gov changes the mix of the gas but that probally isnt it

2 might want to try to clean your MAF....that can cause all kinds of weird stuff you can pull the spout if its a 5.0 car,,,,if the maf cleaning doesnt help

Mike
    NEW BEST 9.66 @141.02 best mph 141.73 mph!
    AEM tuned by ME!

http://www.mikeymustang.com