Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Boost in crankcase Q's

Thread: Boost in crankcase Q's

Junior SCH Member

Boost in crankcase Q's

This topic has been beat to death on other sites. Hopefully we can iron this out on here with minimal hassle. What is the best/most effective way to minimize boost pressure from entering the crankcase. Lets assume this is a new well sealed motor i.e. new rings, pistons, quality assembly and machine work etc. How would one solve the problem of the dipstick blowing out, pcv blowing out etc. I've heard check valves work, if so ,what kind and where to get them. Breather caps on oil fill tubes? Is this an acceptable practice, any unmetered air problems? Hopefully someone on here has solved this nagging problem for S/C'ed people. Lets hear it:D
    95 Zero option GTS. D.S.S 8.8-1 Bullet 306,S-Trim, Power Pipe, 6037's, TFS 2 cam, Perf RPM U/L, 70mm T/B, 80mm MAF, 42's, BBK L/T's.

Senior SCH Member
    yes, i solved my problems by installing breathers on both valve covers. i do not have any issues.

i am eventually going to get a one-way check valve from bowlinggreencustoms.com to prevent the pcv system from letting pressure into the crankcase.
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    No problems with ck engine lights, high idle, anything? What about oil mist from the breathers is this excessive. What did you do with your pcv hose, just leave it hooked up as normal? Thanks. Maybe 94-95 ECU's are more picky. Any 94-95 guys deal with this?
    95 Zero option GTS. D.S.S 8.8-1 Bullet 306,S-Trim, Power Pipe, 6037's, TFS 2 cam, Perf RPM U/L, 70mm T/B, 80mm MAF, 42's, BBK L/T's.

Senior SCH Member
    nope idle is fine, only people i see with oil mist issues are ones that remove the baffle inside the valve cover. mine are fine and i use carb valve covers. i just had to install a 1" spacer for the upper intake to clear the breather on the driver side.

no check engine lights and my pcv hose is the same way it was when stock

d
    --
    93 GT

Senior SCH Member
    I remember sometime back on the corral, of a GN guy that had a mustang did a check valve setup with a check valve off of a GN.

Said it worked like gangbusters!?

Anyone recall that thread or anything similar?
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

SCH Member
    I got one of the one way vavles from bowling green customs. It worked good when I had it hooked up. No I don't have a pcv and just have the vavle covers vented. I'm going to try and use a pump from a newer mustang to help with crankcase pressure. Just not real sure how I'm going to hook it up.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

Same thing, had this problem long time ago in a galaxy far far away, ha, no really you need to ventalate your engine, breather caps or the really hardcore boosters use the evac. pumps. But that's more racing oriented. You just gotta make the engine be able to breath so all that preasure has some where to go. Do you have a by-pass valve?
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah I have a bypass. My issue was that the stock pcv seems unable to contain the pressure from 10+ #'s of boost. I was looking for a few suggestions on how to remedy this. I looked on bowling green custom's website but could not find the check valve. Is there a special section it's under?

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by BlownGTS
    Yeah I have a bypass. My issue was that the stock pcv seems unable to contain the pressure from 10+ #'s of boost. I was looking for a few suggestions on how to remedy this. I looked on bowling green custom's website but could not find the check valve. Is there a special section it's under?
    just search for check valve it will pop up
    --
    93 GT

Originally posted by BlownGTS
    I'm running #10 and I have no problems with the pcv. I did at one time though, I siliconed the dam thing in.
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Junior SCH Member
    I was having the same problems with the PCV valve and grommet until I put in a breather cap, it's help some but it's still blowing oil out of the pcv tube where it connects to the intake. I've been looking at just getting a catch can and dealing with it. However, after reading this I was wondering if I might be better off with a one way check valve or a blow off valve. What exactly do these do?

Started life 06/10/94 SVT Cobra #2765.

Mods: S-trim(10-11psi), Pro-M 80mm mass air, A9L processor, 30#injectors w/ FMU, aeromotive boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator, Edelbrock heads*new*(1.90/1.60), B-303 cam w/ stock 1.7 cobra rockers, Probe Inndustry 7" balancer, Griffin aluminum 3 core radiator, Mac unequal-lenght shorties, o/r h-pipe, Mac cat back, MSD 6AL and boost retard, Taylor battery relocation.

Driveline: Tremec TKO w/ Hurst shifter, SPEC stage II clutch, aluminum drive-shaft, lakewood safety-loop, 3.55 gears.

Supension:Steeda lowering springs (cut 1/2coil front, 1/4 rear), Tokiko blue shocks and struts, sub-frame connectors, Steeda caster/camber plates.

Appearance:Y2K silver R's, Phantom boost, and electronic fuel pressure guages(both hidden), replaced tan carpet w/ black, Pioneer head unit, direct amp and two 10" audiobahns.

Old Dyno#'s w/ GT-40 heads and not tuned 410/400. Car had 12* base timing and the A/F was 11.0 at 3500 and kept getting richer higher in the revs.

New #'s *comming soon* with 42# injectors and a tune. Expecting 500.