Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
74 windsor reman short block. see inside
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 74 windsor reman short block. see inside

74 windsor reman short block. see inside

ok. I can get this for a resonable price. Supposed to be to 8.75:1 i think? slap my heads on it, get a tfs intake and let it rip? it's already go the right pan on it for a fox. Does the tfs intake clear the hood? I NEED FUELIE WINDSOR PEEPS ASAP!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

this thing is has like 100 miles ( yes i know the guy well) and i know he'll get off of it cheap!

choices
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

SCH Member
    I didn't think any of the 351W FI intakes fit under a stock hood.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

Full is correct I do not think a 351 will fit under a stock hood. You will also have to buy swap headers, and maybe an h-pipe.

The 74 is one of the strongest factory 351 blocks out there..

Ian

my question is will the bottom end put up with the kind of abuse you guys know i will subject it too! LOL i will install good bolts of course. I don't know if the pistons are original but i will find out.

this may give me an excuse to go to the cervinis.com? i already have paint. MMM more parts to order MMM

The 74 351 is MUCH stronger than your 302 so that will be fine. I would use main and head studs, ARP rod bolts, and check the pistons (forged)

Ian

SCH Member
    The general consensus is the stock Windsor blocks are good until about 600rwhp. Of course this is the same consensus that the stock 302 is good to 500rhwp. Many people go over both of these, but they are on borrowed time.

The late 60s/early 70s are the strongest production blocks (69-71). During the 70s they began to lower the nickel content making the blocks weaker. I believe this continued through about 78 when they leveled off. From then on, they are all about the same. The 74 block will be better than the later motors.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

Originally posted by FullAuto
    I didn't think any of the 351W FI intakes fit under a stock hood.

Sorry to piss in your wheaties fellas, but this is Novi357's car. He not only has a 408 Novi2k combi under his stock hood. The intake is also a spyder intake . He's on his way to another 9.90 pass in this pic. It makes a great sleeper with the stock hood and 2 1/2 tailpipes.

You will have to use drop solid mounts and cut the braces from under the hood, but yes they will fit.
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug; 11-27-2003 at 10:19 AM.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Awesome! Thanks doug! there is hope yet because i hate my current motormounts and a hood is not in the budget.

do you have any opinion on the 74 crank and rods? It is a jasper reman.

and thanks again.

Brent,
    If you can pick it up cheap enough. Go for it. What pistons are in it? That will be the determining factor. I ran very low tens way back in the early 90's with a stock block, crank, rods 351. Novi357 had a stock block in his car, it made over 600 at the wheels. After 2 years, he went lean and burnt a piston. The block is still in his garage. We have another friend that made 800rwhp with a 69 block 408, YS trim, NOS combo. He ran that combo for 2 1/2 years. He took it out of his car and sold it to another one of our friends. It still runs today. I can go on and on, but the morral of the story. Put the damn thing in your car. It is twice as strong as the 302 and it wont break unless you get stupid with it. Use big enough injectors, a full fuel system, and good gas. You won't have a problem.

Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

amen doug, why I'm going to do a big windsor in a nut shell.

They live forever if your not stupid rattling the thing to death. I'm still amazed that the spider fits under that stock hood. :)

74's are the last real strong production blocks made.

And just for the record, we tore down my buddies 380 cubic inch bennett windsor, to find non other then a 1 piece rear main seal in it, and a lifter valley that will except a hydro roller spider, (not machined into it). This meaning it was a newer production block. It's a solid roller now, that sees 7k on a regular basis, and made about 900 rwhp on the squeeze. The car has been low 9's for two years now, and just recently burnt a piston. Soooo.
    90 strawberry coupe

is it a big deal to machine the old blocks for the new hyd-roller gear? This is sounding sweeter and sweeter.

It's not a big deal at all Brent,

you do have to use a reduced base circle cam however. Or you can spend about 400 bucks on the retrofit lifters and use a normal size cam.

I know machineing isn't bad, not super sure about the the reduced base circle stuff with the retro lifters though.
    90 strawberry coupe

what to do about the cam situation. could i run a standard "shelf cam" and the correct pushrods with the retrofit lifters? How reliable are these retrofit fit lifters? cause i would think the ford setup would be hard to beat. Solid flat tappet? I could try an el cheapo hyd flat tappet even though i know i'd be leaving alot of power on the table. I'm sure i'd just get the TFS intake with the 75mm tbody.

obviously if i'm gonna run a N1K on a windsor this is on a budget. I know this is not Ideal but i think it'll boogie easy 10's all day long!

HEADERS. i've seen some windsor swap headers that fit horrible.
    I'm not opposed to a larger tube shortie if I can find an h that bolts up without too much drama and clears the C4.

timing cover works yes? dipstick tube?

My 255 pump should keep up with some new lines and AN fittings?

any thoughts rants or criticism will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by regattacoupe; 11-28-2003 at 02:46 AM.