Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 74 windsor reman short block. see inside

Thumbs up

ttt?:D

there may be a major garage sale coming!
    Last edited by regattacoupe; 11-30-2003 at 11:44 PM.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Originally posted by regattacoupe
    what to do about the cam situation. could i run a standard "shelf cam" and the correct pushrods with the retrofit lifters? How reliable are these retrofit fit lifters? cause i would think the ford setup would be hard to beat. Solid flat tappet? I could try an el cheapo hyd flat tappet even though i know i'd be leaving alot of power on the table. I'm sure i'd just get the TFS intake with the 75mm tbody.
    The retrofit lifters work great. Comp cams sells some really good blower cams.

obviously if i'm gonna run a N1K on a windsor this is on a budget. I know this is not Ideal but i think it'll boogie easy 10's all day long!

With the right heads,intake,cam, and the blower, you should very low tens

HEADERS. i've seen some windsor swap headers that fit horrible.
    I'm not opposed to a larger tube shortie if I can find an h that bolts up without too much drama and clears the C4.

timing cover works yes? dipstick tube?

Novi357(Brian) use to run shorties forever. I think he use to run 10.20's consitently with them and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust

My 255 pump should keep up with some new lines and AN fittings?

Yep

any thoughts rants or criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Get off your *** and go for it!
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

LOL Swap in progress.

thanks doug and brandon
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

np, hope to do the same down the road. :)
    90 strawberry coupe

Hi,

Great thread. I'm building a 351 myself, gonna hit it with a YS trim, looking for somewhere around 650 RWHP when it's done. Been thinking about the bottom end tho. Was planning on using stock block, crank and rods, with forged TRW's.

I have heard from a few sources that the stock rods might be a weak link at the HP level tho. I'm not looking to spin the motor past 6500 ever. What do you guys know about longevity of the stock rods in something like what I'm wanting to build?

Thanks,
    Jim
    1988 Mustang LX Vortech Supercharged
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ
    Yippie-kiyah Muthafuka! - Bruce Willis, Die Hard

Well i'm really trying to build torque this year as i'm not going to be able to afford the hardware to really spin it up. http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/D...1=Display+Card

I'm using stock rods and crank as well and i'm gonna order a set of the dss pistons for the TW heads.

i'm using this cam with 1.7's, twisted wedge heads, and the tfs intake. I'm looking to make it 60' like gang busters

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Brent does Paxton have the mount kit for the Novi1000 on a Tall Block 351.

Well i bought the little 1000 for two reasons and one of them is because it uses the same bracketry as the 2000. So i should just be able to change the base bracket to the alt auto bracket but i'm going to try to rig up where it'll work. As beefy as the Novi 1000/2000 hardware is I don't see it slinging any belts. Heck the belt i made over 75 passes and 3000 street miles looks brand new.

Okay here the new combo

74 351 with truck rods and very low miles
    twisted wedge heads
    TFS 351 intake(unless someone has a better idea for the money)
    this cam http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/D...1=Display+Card
    (going for torque remember)
    truth is I won't have the money for the roller setup i want and thats the cam that is in it! LOL
    Pro-M 80 for 42lb inj
    Windsor Swap Shortie and a new matching x pipe

I think the lil blower that could might see 7-8 psi on this thing if i'm lucky. I do think it will run good though.

I might pick up a different cam but i'll cross that road when the time comes

Let me know what you think Aaron.

Hi Regattacoupe,

Your combo looks great, but I gotta say, I think that cam is gonna kill your power production. I know you're going for torque, but a 214/224 cam at .050" in a 351 is probably gonna be all done by 5000 rpm, even with a blower breathing into it (I run a bigger cam in my 302, a 222/232, and it's all done at 5800). I would say you'd need to kick those duration numbers up at least 10 degrees on both sides, otherwise you're leaving a lot of HP on the table.

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ

I agree. And i do want it to pull to 5800 like my 302 did.

do you think an el junko flat tappet cam will make decent power. It wont be a higher revver so i think it'll work.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    There are some *very* good flat tappet cams out there, both hydraulic and solid. Saying you would be leaving power on the table by skipping the roller cam is a rash assumption. If it were me, I would save the triple-digit money on the roller conversion bits and roller cam, it is much better spent elsewhere IMO.

If/when my '90 5.0 ever gives up the ghost, I have a 302 core out of a '74 Bronco sitting here that will be the basis for a long rod 306 buildup - with a flat tappet cam. I do like my Ultradyne roller cam in the 5.0 but I'm not into the weight-imposed rev limitations of the hydraulic roller hardware, I want something that will rev cleanly and reliably to 7k+ rpm and not cost me a left nut. :)

BTW when I use Engine Analyzer software, plug in TFS heads, Downs Ford breadbox intake (GT40 lower), the Wolverine 1165 cam that you picked (a good pick IMO), 1-3/4" shorty headers, and 11.8 psi at 5k rpm (900 cfm), it shows this combo making 452 hp @ 5.5k rpm, 450 Tq @ 5k rpm (over 400 FtLb from 3800 to 5800 rpm).
    Last edited by fanglemeister; 12-11-2003 at 04:59 PM.
    Chris

hmmm thanks chris. Maybe i should call COMP andd see what grinds they reccomend.

Brent,

The Holley uses the same lower as a ford truck. Ford used the same lower intake design on the 302 and I heard somewhere 351 trucks.

For cost effectivness I would try to locate a 351 lower and slap the Holley upper on it, if what I heard is true.

I am hoping it is because I too will oneday switch to a 351 and would like to save some cash that way.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Hi,

Yes, there are definitely decent hydralic flat tappet camshafts out there. My post did not state that you would be leaving a lot of power on the table if you didnt use a hydr roller cam, my statement was that you will leave a lot of HP on the table using a 214/224 duration cam in a 351 motor. If my 302 has a 222/232 cam in it and it peaks at 5800, you can just imagine where a smaller 214/224 cam will peak in a bigger 351 inch motor, you know?

Fanglemeister is correct, there are hydr flat tappet cams out there that will rev 7000 rpm no problem. Actually, I had considered a hydr flat tappet cam for my 351 project. Crane makes a 226/236 x .500/.520 on a 112 center that would probably work very well with a blower, but I've decided to use a hydr roller for mine. Course I'm running out of money on this little project and I still havent bought the cam and lifters yet, so who knows, I may end up with the hydr flat tappet after all :).

Jim
    546 RWHP/525 RWTQ

Chuck, i had considered that but to make it a performance piece i'd had to take it to fox lake(which is an hour down the road) and it have it worked or i'd have a blown windsor witha stock intake. So i dunno. I have my Holley II sold to a guy here in ohio and he's buying alot of my stuff. He's supposed to be by in a week or two. And i really like the TFS with the gray powdercoated upper.

Chris and jim told me what i already knew and didn't want to admit. LOL And i do appreciate it by the way! I'm gonna get ahold of some companies and order a good cam. That crane cam sounds great jim. I've got a hook up on a set of headers, dr.gas x, pan, balancer and flexplate.

it's starting to come together.
    Last edited by regattacoupe; 12-11-2003 at 08:51 PM.