Thread: new 351 running crappy...please help!

Junior SCH Member

new 351 running crappy...please help!

I just got my EFI 351w running in my 88LX. I am having a few problems, and cant seem to get any closer to fixing them. Please help if you have any ideas on any of my problems! I tried searching for a long time but nothing is the same as my problem, some close, but no answers.

1. It wont charge, I have put on 2 known good alternators and finally a brand new one. I jump start the car, pull the (+) cable and it dies. What else could make it not charge?

2. Wont idle when cold, and once it does idle, it goes back and forth from 800 to 3,000, 10 seconds at each RPM.

3. After running it to normal temp, if I try to restart it (on jumper cables) it just clicks, until it cools off and will run again, but very cold blooded again.

4. The car likes a lot of timing, so advanced that it doesnt start right, I have to retard the timing to start it then advance it to run right. without it advanced so much, throttle response is horrible and it pops thrtough the intake.,

I have not adjusted the fuel pressure yet, but it is rich not lean. I ran the code reader key on engine off, and the only non smog related code was "Throttle position sensor out of range" it is brand new though....I have not adjusted it to .095 volts yet, because i always play with the idle trying to get it to run right.

Please help me out, I have nowhere else to turn and am very frusterated....after all this work it barely runs. please help, thank you

SCH Member
    1. sounds like wiring
    2. sounds like some dumba$$ sensor (this is why I like carbs)
    3. sounds like your headers are cooking the starter, it won't start until it cools
    4. What kind of ignition box do you have? Most boxes (MSD for example) retard the timing 20* on start just for that problem.

But I'm no expert. I could be wrong on everything. It sounds way more than I'd ever tackle by myself.
    1991 LX hatch AOD - Dart block, 3.25" crank, H-beams, Ross pistons, Novi 2k, TW heads, Performer RPM, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF, Bennett cam, 60lb inj., AFM Powerpipe, Kooks LTs, Snow Performance methanol/water injection, enough fuel for the Space Shuttle Discovery

Old Combo - 148k mile stock bottom end, P&P E7s, AOD, NX wet kit
    428.3rwhp 566.7 rwtq

Whoever said money can't buy happiness never had a wife with breast implants. ;)

Re: new 351 running crappy...please help!

Originally posted by SilverLX
    I just got my EFI 351w running in my 88LX. I am having a few problems, and cant seem to get any closer to fixing them. Please help if you have any ideas on any of my problems! I tried searching for a long time but nothing is the same as my problem, some close, but no answers.

1. It wont charge, I have put on 2 known good alternators and finally a brand new one. I jump start the car, pull the (+) cable and it dies. What else could make it not charge?

Check the field wire on the back of the alternator with a voltage meter. See what it reads.

2. Wont idle when cold, and once it does idle, it goes back and forth from 800 to 3,000, 10 seconds at each RPM.

You need to check for any vacuum leaks. If none are found, See #4

3. After running it to normal temp, if I try to restart it (on jumper cables) it just clicks, until it cools off and will run again, but very cold blooded again.

Cooked starter

4. The car likes a lot of timing, so advanced that it doesnt start right, I have to retard the timing to start it then advance it to run right. without it advanced so much, throttle response is horrible and it pops thrtough the intake.,

You need to take the distributor back out and set the #1 cylinder to TDC. Put the distributor to the correct spot. The car will run if the distributor is a tooth off. This can also cause the #2 problem you listed.

I have not adjusted the fuel pressure yet, but it is rich not lean. I ran the code reader key on engine off, and the only non smog related code was "Throttle position sensor out of range" it is brand new though....I have not adjusted it to .095 volts yet, because i always play with the idle trying to get it to run right.

Set the TPS and fuel pressure. It will be easier to diagnose everything else if you have done the basics.

Please help me out, I have nowhere else to turn and am very frusterated....after all this work it barely runs. please help, thank you
    Last edited by Doug; 11-27-2003 at 10:33 AM.
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

tps, this can be done with the car key on but not running

Base fuel pressure

set the distributor like doug mentioned.

give the computer a chance to learn the motor.

cooked starter.
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    the starter is brand new...the TPS needs to be set, but wont the setting change when turning the idle adjustment screw? The distributor is in right, I used your method the first time around. I have vacuum leaks around the upper intake (its a comp box, and is very hard to seal). I will keep messing with it. thanks for the help!

yes it does change when turning the idel adjustment screw.
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    for your charging problem make sure you have a good ground to the body and to engine. when turn key to the on pos. does the battery or alt light come on if it has one, this has to work to charge. There is a fuse for it . cannot help efi a carb person my self.
    1985 gt
    p-1sc 2 row intercooled

Pointer

Also verify you have the correct timing pointer. I don't remeber the specifics but a buddy had a sportsman based lightning motor with TFS TW heads and Edelbrock RPM intake and it just never ran right. Finally boiled down to the fact that the pointer was incorrect and therefore his timing was way off. We reset it to TDC and made our own marking as a temporary fix and it was like a different car. Not that this is what you are experiencing but sounds familiar.
    Mike
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D