Thread: Novi 1000/ ATI 600B Single belt options?

Junior SCH Member

Novi 1000/ ATI 600B Single belt options?

I have a single belt ATI 600B on a 95 Mustang GT, but the info for the single belt Novi 1000 seems to be the place to post this.

Since I have belt slippage with the smaller blower pulley I was attempting to use a larger blower pulley and a larger crank pulley.
    I had an ASP 8" pulley made for the crank and I'm using a Cobra water pump pulley to clear the crank pulley.
    I had the crank pulley made with 8 ribs just in case I decide to go to a completely 8 rib system.
    After I installed the larger pulleys I noticed that the engine ran warmer under normal no boost conditions.
    I'm running a 160 thermostat and have an aluminum Griffin rad.
    Has anyone experienced this?
    My other concern is that I'm spinning the water pump at twice the crank speed because the Cobra water pump pulley is 4 inches in diameter.
    How many rpm can a stock water pump handle?
    Does anyone know if someone makes an 8 rib pulley system for all the accessories on a 95 5.0, or are there any factory 8 rib factory systems that I might be able to adapt?

Thanks, Keith

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar
    I'm not sure how many RPM's a waterpump can handle before it starts to cavitate, But I too have a Cobra waterpump pulley and a ASP 8" crank pulley and my car runs just as cool now as it did before the swap.
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by frank woodall
    I'm not sure how many RPM's a waterpump can handle before it starts to cavitate, But I too have a Cobra waterpump pulley and a ASP 8" crank pulley and my car runs just as cool now as it did before the swap.
    Thanks for your input Frank, I'll check further.

Anyone else know about the 8 rib pulleys?

One thing you may want to take a look at is the newer 4.6's and 5.4's in trucks have an 8 rib set up I don't know for sure if you could use any pullies off of one of them but you may want to take a look at them in the JY. Also somethimes if your waterpump is pumpng too fast then the coolant is going through the radiator too fast and not transfering enough heat. Sometimes just by slowing the flow down a bit actrually cools better. What size of blower pulley have you tried? I wonder why it slips for you. there are single belt novi users here that use 6.5" crank pullies and 2.75" blower pullies that have no slippage issues. I will be going to that set up as soon as my 2.75 comes in. Good luck
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

Junior SCH Member
    Jason,
    When I had the 2.8" pulley on I had no problems with belt slippage.
    I changed it to a 2.55" blower pulley and it slips with the stock crank pulley. I believe the 95 Mustang has a larger crank pulley than the fox bodies.
    In the beginning it was shredding belts because the blower pulley was installed backwards from the factory which made it out of alignment.

Maybe if I change back to a 180 thermostat it would keep the water in the rad longer and help.

I'll look into the later 4.6 and 5.4 truck setups and see if I can use any of those accessory pulleys.

Thanks, Keith