Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no idle when cold

keep us posted dave, like to hear how many possible combinations there are for bad cold start idle. i thought i dealt with them all but a new solution always seems to pop up here & there.......good luck on your finals dave!

-justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

It could be a couple of issues possibly, one I was thinking, do you have a cam in the car? If so are you using the Idle air by-pass plate, I thinks that's right. If not this could be part of your problem, this is designed to allow you idle adjustment, if you have been trying to play with the idle screw on the throttle body, this could of thrown your tps voltage off, and causing your cold start up problem. Second, it could possibly be the mass air meter itself, sometimes these have to be rotated to a certain "clocking" position CW or CCW, you could be getting some crazy air moving across it at idle, or the mass air has a calibration problem in open loop. Have you tried it with the stock mass air?

My 2.5 cents.

SCH Member
    I havent tried the stock meter w/ 19 lb injectors.. I only have 7- 19 lb inj.. gave one away... I tried clocking the meter.. its at 6 oclock if i put it 12 it will pop going from 2nd to third when im under load at wot.. it seems to idle best like it is..... and its still the stock cam. hey if i cant figure it out by the summer it will fix itself... is it summer yet ?

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by KH
    It could be a couple of issues possibly, one I was thinking, do you have a cam in the car? If so are you using the Idle air by-pass plate, I thinks that's right. If not this could be part of your problem, this is designed to allow you idle adjustment, if you have been trying to play with the idle screw on the throttle body, this could of thrown your tps voltage off, and causing your cold start up problem. Second, it could possibly be the mass air meter itself, sometimes these have to be rotated to a certain "clocking" position CW or CCW, you could be getting some crazy air moving across it at idle, or the mass air has a calibration problem in open loop. Have you tried it with the stock mass air?

My 2.5 cents.

truthfully dave, i dont think the hotter weather will improve your problem. the "cold start" issue isnt usually due to colder weather, its the idea of the car sitting for many hours letting all the metal components contract & alieviate all the saturated heat. regardless of outside temp the engine performs differently for the first couple minutes during "cold start". somthing is making your "cold start" idle/driveability bad. if, for example, your cold start idle probelm is either MAF, vacuum, fuel, or EEC related then these problems will be faulty regardless of temperature outside.....
    i suggest to check/do the free stuff 1st, then move on to a diagnostic test & go from there. switching with known good parts is deffinaltey the best thing to do. MAF, TPS, O2 sensors, etc.......if you havent pulled & cleaned the IAC or checked for vacuum leaks(vacuum tester is best), then i highly recomend doing so........keep us posted!

-justin
    Last edited by mygt8a4re; 12-15-2003 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typd so dang fast it looked like my 3 yr old son typed it