Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Time to upgrade!

Thread: Time to upgrade!

SCH Member

Time to upgrade!

The dragstrip is now closed for the winter and it is time to consider a few changes........

I reckon a powerpipe is a must, if I can find one a 3.25 inch pulley (looking for 14-15psi) and if funds permit, a new intake. (Holley or Trickflow R) Seem sensible?

Best time to date is 11.46 @ 123 mph, I now have a wideband on board to help tuning, I am seeing 10.5 A/F ratio through to 5500rpm when it climbs to 12.8, total timing is 22 degrees using a PMS to take out timing under WOT conditions. The Novi gives around 10psi.

I would like to run in the high 120s or even 130 if possible, ET wise a 10.9999 would suffice (for now)
    :)

Current spec is 90GT with B50 block, 327 stroker, Trickflow heads & stage 2 cam, GT 40 intake, 42# inj, Vortech fuel system, PMS, Tremec, 3.55 gears etc etc!!

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Great car, and great combos! I really like the pics you uploaded.

The PowerPipe not only gives you some boost, it also cleans up the engine compartment. I recommend Anderson pipes, as they look great and come coated ready to go.

For an intake, I like the Holley. My buddy has one on his car and it really pulls nicely!

For your pulley, contact Jack @ www.musclemotors.com he can hook you up with a nice deal on a ASP unit.

With those mods and 15lbs of boost, you should get your 130MPH.

Ian

SCH Member
    Thanks Ian,

You have really confirmed my intentions. My particular Mustang was originally from Canada, it had a KM speedo and the Cobra sticker on the rear. We reckon there are only a couple of hundred Fox bodied 5.0s over here, 3 of us have run in the elevens, mine is curently the fastest and I hope to keep it there! I only know of one other Novi car besides mine, I have given him details of your site.

Jeff

Thanks very much Jeff!

If I may ask, how do you get all your performance parts over to England? Where do you shop?

Ian

SCH Member
    Most US speed shops will ship over here, you then have to pay a further 10% import duty and 17.5% UK tax on top of the original price. A part costing $US 100 ends up costing $US 150 so it gets very expensive.

I have attended the FFW/ NMRA race in Bradenton Florida for the last 3 years and usually bring back a few goodies from there (hoping you don't get stopped by customs!) This year it was a Probe stroker kit, crank, pistons, rods the lot! I reckon between the four of us that made the trip we nearly brought a whole car back.

Gas price is the other bad thing over here.......$US 5.81 a gallon, so the Mustang only comes out on special occasions......

SCH Member
    nice combo, whats a b50 block if i may ask.

SCH Member
    The B50 is the Ford Racing Sportsman block, two bolt mains but much meatier in all the weak areas of the stock block (I have already cracked one of those) supposed to be good for a sustained 650hp

SCH Member
    got it, how much rwhp did you have when you cracked it.

Originally posted by UKFIVEO
    Most US speed shops will ship over here, you then have to pay a further 10% import duty and 17.5% UK tax on top of the original price. A part costing $US 100 ends up costing $US 150 so it gets very expensive.

Sounds like our dillemma only we get hosed more with the exchange rate. When I told Jack that AFR heads from their dealer out in Alberta cost $2300 Canadian plus tax and shipping he was stunned. No wonder we shop stateside for car parts. Even with exchange, shipping and taxes it still works out cheaper most of the time. Another good example for our Toronto area speedfreaks is that rip off chain Performance Improvements. They want $1300 Can. for an Edelbrock Performer Intake. You see those every where in the States for $450 US. Even with shipping and taxes you can get it up here for $900 tops with exchange. And if you can work a little deal with your staeside friend on shipping you can get it cheaper than that. NUTS!

SCH Member

1sicklx

I cracked the old block two years ago, it was a 302 with a DSS girdle, the Trickflows, an E303 cam and a SN89 blower giving 5psi. I had 30# injectors and an in tank 155lph pump! I reckon it was around 420hp.

Had no bother with it (11.87 @ 115 ) until I took it to a high speed shootout at a local airfield, this was a WOT blast for 1.7 miles. The Mustangs attains 154 mph a long way from the finish & refuses to go faster (around 5200 rpm in 5th) I could feel it holding back and slightly misfiring. After the second run like this a nasty tap started from the top of the engine, eventually we found that the block had spat 3 cam bearings out, cracked all the main journals, and hurt 3 stock pistons.

I now have a big buck fuel system!

Jeff