Thread: Which gear

Senior SCH Member

Which gear

Ok, I have recently went from NA to a Novi 1000, when I was running NA I was running 4:56's, So now what should I do? I finally tuned the car the car pulls like hell and doesn't stop pulling all the way through the gears, I have a 3550, and i plan on keeping the 3550 in it. I also have a new set of moser 31 spline axles and a rear diff ready to install, since I'm going to replace the diff and axles what should I do, leave the 4:56's in or go to a higher gear (3:55, 3:73) or what. If I leave the 4:56's in what will be the pro's and con's? Where I live there is only 2 1/4 mile tracks that are about 1 hour away to each of them. I spend most of my track time on the 8th. the car is pretty much a weekend car and maybe driven once or twice a week. I do drive the car to MustangWeek at Myrtle Beach about 3 1/2 hours away. I'm running a 26in tall tire. What should I do? PLEASE HElP!!!

Thanks, Rusty

This will only apply if you don't run a Mod motor, can't recall what year car ya have :D

I ran 4.10's for a while with my Novi 1000 thru a t-5, I would hit the rev limiter on my MSD at 6200 RPM's about 100-150 ft. short of the finish in 4th.

I was running 26" ET Streets as well. To be able to run the 1/4 you'll have to back down to 3.73's or tune out the stock rev limiter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    what type of times were you turning and what type of MPH? I have 4.10 gears now and was wondering how it would work after I installed my SQ. I also have 3.73 gears. Thanks

11.7's and around 117MPH.

SCH Member
    Thanks I might try the 27 inch ET streets first. I have a set I can borrow

Senior SCH Member
    If I was to tune out stock computer to keep from hitting the rev limiter, what would be an advantage to keep the 4:56's, I'm leaning torwards a set of 3:73's, My car is a 92 gt. Thanks for you all's help and info.

Thanks, Rusty

Rusty, with the 4.56's I would tend to believe that you would be running thru the traps well above 6500 RPM's. Probably closer, if not above 7000 RPM's. Even with "tuning" out the limiter, I think that with your set-up spinning the motor that high would not be beneficial.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks for the info, What gear would you recommed 3:55's or 3:73's?

355's are the best blower gear in my opinion.

Then just adjust with tire size.

seems like they work best on cars dipping into the low 11's and faster

373 if you are going to stay slower then that.
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member
    thanks for the info, I belive that I'll just go ahead with the 3:55's, b/c I'll eventually upgrade to a novi 2000.

Thanks, Rusty

if you are going to upgrade, they are the best choice. They really allow the blower alot more time to make power in each gear. Plus with a 5 speed, they are great on the highway.
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member
    Now that I have decided to go with the 3:55's I'll probablly drive the car more now than I use to. The car will be going to Mustang Week at Myrtle Beach in South Carolina this year I was afraid to drive all the way there last year b/c it was 3 -1/2 hrs away and the cost of the gas to get there with the 4;56's in.

www.mustangweek.com
    thanks, Rusty