Thread: How much timing?

Junior SCH Member

How much timing?

What timing do you guys run? Im running 9 psi and gonna run race gas to insure everything runs smooth, any advice?
    I do run the intercooler but not sure how much that really helps.
    Im running 35 degrees on street tires but with slicks and a load, im sure that might be too much... thanks in advance.

rayzgt

Junior SCH Member

How much timing

Timing will depend on a number of factors (compression, octane of fuel used, boost etc...). I don't know what combination you have, but I have a 1991 Mustang LX with a 306 and D1B (3-CORE) running 8.5 to 1 comp. and 14 lbs. boost. I also have aluminum heads. I run ten degrees initial (A9L Processor) for a total of 26 degrees at WOT with 93 octane pump gas. At the track I run 12 degrees total with a mixture of 100 octane race and 93 octane pump gas. I started off with 8 degrees and made sure I had a fresh tank of gas. Ultimately the intercooler will allow you to be alot more aggressive with the timing even when using pump gas. If you are running a stick shift car I recommend removing the spout connector and setting total timing to 24 degrees (assuming you are running a similar combo) to start. This is due to the fact that the processor may add timing when you let off to shift gears, which may cause detonation. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Take care and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

1991 LX
    306 DSS SUPER PRO BULLET
    Edelbrock Performer Heads
    Performer RPM Intake
    TFS Stage II Cam
    PA C-4 Super Comp
    3.55 Gears
    26 x 10 Slicks
    Best et : 10.66 @ 127 (6.79 1/8)