Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
finally ran with novi

Thread: finally ran with novi

SCH Member

finally ran with novi

well, I only got one shot at gainesville,fl last night. screwed up launch, almost stalled, had trouble with 4th, blew something mid track, and wound up 13.3 @ 106. oh, lost ignition completely too. pretty sure its not supposed to chug out steam and water. guess I blew a head gasket or something.
    s/c 331

damn, did you get it home ok??
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Member
    luckily my friend had AAA. its only about 60 miles away. well doesn't look like any water is in the oil so thats a good sign. maybe intake gasket. wont fire up either. something is wrong with the key switch or that ignition box under the steering
    s/c 331

DAmn it sounds like that thing just erupted into a plethoria of problems, just because there's no evident water in oil does not necessarily mean that a head gasket did not let loose.

Check the radiator for oil contamination, once you get it fired up & up to operating temp check for bubbles in the coolant reservoir. Either of these two and you most likely smoked a h/g.

SCH Member
    thanks, i'll be checking it out later today. if it turns out to be a h/g, thats my excuse to pull the whole thing out. i'll be one of the guys running a stroker. hmm, someone posted a 392 shortblock for sale around here not too long ago.
    s/c 331

I pulled mine after 4 sets of h/g in one season, got tired of messing with it.... that was over a year now. Hope to have my running by the start of next season.

The car also wont turn over if you fill a cylinder full of water/coolant.

This is also a symptom of a blown head gasket.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

chuck true... and if it does start it's able to bend/snap a rod.. I know cause my f-150 truck snapped a rod in half because of that :)

Pull the plugs, if you have any water in the cyl, drain them.
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

SCH Member
    thanks for the tips, i'll check it out. I was having ignition problems before I went to the track. the week prior I would turn the key all the way forward and the engine would just turn w/o firing, then as soon as I let off on the key it would fire. we did start it after the h/g blew at the track. had to jiggle the key, now i'm not getting fire no matter what I do.

Last edited by Goliath5.0; 12-08-2003 at 09:55 PM.
    s/c 331

SCH Member
    got it running. no water in oil pan, no oil in coolant. did notice what looked like gasket flakes at top of radiator. when it warmed up it had a nice stream of big bubbles coming up. thats are sure sign of h/g trouble isn't it. I haven't done a compression test but the comp. part of the gasket could still be okay and the meat of the gasket blown out couldn't it ?
    s/c 331

bubbles almost always = headgasket

Happy wrenching :D

SCH Member
    strange, I always thought if I blew the gasket it would be missing or something. seems to run okay. guess I'll be pulling the pos out for the holidays. I think i'm going to ditch this tko and go auto while i'm at it.
    s/c 331