Thread: Questions about tensioner pulley

Junior SCH Member

Questions about tensioner pulley

1) I'm not sure I've got it facing the right way. How do you know? The blower belt seems to near/up against the outer lip of the pulley. Is this right?

2) When I tighten the pulley, as I get it near where I think it needs to be tightness wise, the little metal piece on the end of the tensioner bolt seems to begin running up against the back of the front bracket that it's attached to. Up until that point, it seems to slide along very easily, but then the bolt gets pretty tough to turn and the sliding piece makes a sound like it's starting to get very tight to the bracket. Is this normal? Also, I seem like I'm about to run out of bolt when I get it to the tightness that I think is normal. Is this right? As far as the tightness goes, I'd say it's similar to a guitar string. Pretty tight.
    13 lb. Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger, 80 mm C&L MAF, AFM Power Pipe, 70mm BBK TB, Stage II Cobra intake, Stage II Twisted Wedge heads, 1.6 roller rockers, F303 cam, Keith Craft 306 w/ flycut pistons, DSS main support, ARP hardware, Romac balancer, 3-row radiator, 180 degree thermostat, MSD 6A ignition, MSD Blaster coil, JMS Custom Chip, FRPP wires, Full Aeromotive fuel system with 42lb. injectors, 1 3/4" BBK Long-tubes, Off-road BBK H-pipe, Mac Flow-Paths, Mac 2 ½” tailpipes, T-5 w/ FRPP clutch, Hurst shifter, 3.73's, Cobra R's, Nitto Drag Radials, Removed back seat, spare tire, and sway bar, GT rear wing

521 rwhp, 472 rwtq

my belt runs close to the outside of the pully. I actually installed them backwards at first and the belt nearly climed up onto the bracket.

as far as the tensioner goes I always loosen the 7/8" nut that holds the pully then tension, then tighten the nut back down. This method keeps it from feeling like I'm tearing up my bracket.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    I installed mine backwards the first time too. I do loosen the bolt first, so that's not the problem.
    13 lb. Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger, 80 mm C&L MAF, AFM Power Pipe, 70mm BBK TB, Stage II Cobra intake, Stage II Twisted Wedge heads, 1.6 roller rockers, F303 cam, Keith Craft 306 w/ flycut pistons, DSS main support, ARP hardware, Romac balancer, 3-row radiator, 180 degree thermostat, MSD 6A ignition, MSD Blaster coil, JMS Custom Chip, FRPP wires, Full Aeromotive fuel system with 42lb. injectors, 1 3/4" BBK Long-tubes, Off-road BBK H-pipe, Mac Flow-Paths, Mac 2 ½” tailpipes, T-5 w/ FRPP clutch, Hurst shifter, 3.73's, Cobra R's, Nitto Drag Radials, Removed back seat, spare tire, and sway bar, GT rear wing

521 rwhp, 472 rwtq

SCH Member
    Im having all kinds of problems regarding the accessory belt also. Iv been through many different size belts. The belt keeps sliping off the A/C compressor by about 1/8inch. Now its also starting to slip off the tensioner pully. Im so frustrated with this stupid thing. Iv tried so many different things. I just cant get it to work.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Track Heat Heads
    Trickflow Street Heat Intake
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    Scorpion 1:6 RR
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil
    Every other Bolt on available

518 RWHP 478 FT-LBS Torque

Junior SCH Member
    We're talking about the blower belt, but I know what you mean. I used washers to help it line up a little better. It's not perfect, but stays on now.

521 rwhp, 472 rwtq

SCH Member
    How tight should the 10rib blower belt be?
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

Originally posted by tonyv
    Im having all kinds of problems regarding the accessory belt also. Iv been through many different size belts. The belt keeps sliping off the A/C compressor by about 1/8inch. Now its also starting to slip off the tensioner pully. Im so frustrated with this stupid thing. Iv tried so many different things. I just cant get it to work.
    tony, have you checked the bracket that holds the accessory belt tensioner pulley? I had to take a grinder to the bracket that holds my air compressor b/c it kept the accessory tensioner pulley bracket from seating 100%. This caused the accessory belt to ride off the a/c pulley ~1/8 inch.

SCH Member
    I also grinded the baracket that holds the a/c comp. As of now the tensioner bracket seems to be parallel to the two 1/2in blower brackets.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

is there actually a space b/t the two brackets. I had to remove quite a bit.

Just the few miles I ran with the pulley out of alignment caused my belt to start fraying.

As did I. I took the A/C bracket off the car and cut out a nice big piece with a cutting wheel. I also had to run a couple of washers for spacers...the belt is riding close to the edge of my tensioner pulley.

My blower belt idler/tensioner also don't line up as good as I'd like either, so I will probably run a washer behind each of those.
    Mods Pics
    13.18 @ 106.09 mph pre-blower
    Novi 2000 whistling under the hood

make sure you put a little anti-seize on the sliderbolt and on the back of the plate where it silides up and down as well as the threads...otherwise the silder digs into the alluminum makes a rut..also if you tension the belt alot w/out anti seize the bolt threads will get jacked and ultimately seize up and prob break getting it to move.....
    dale@swillracing