Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coil over impressions on the street with 17x8's?

Question coil over impressions on the street with 17x8's?

Tell me how you guys feel about it? coilovers seem like a great choice to get a decent stance, maintain some sort of street driveability, and still get some weight transfer.

What do you guys think? 17x8's should work ok as far as I can tell. Shot me straight.
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member
    I have front coilovers and love them - that tire size should be fine.

i think my coilovers were a great choice. i get the lowered stance that i prefer plus i use 14" ~ 130# drag springs for superb front lift. just to note, i have an "alomst" full weighted gt with these extreme light rate springs up front. the car feels very solid for having 90/10's & 130# springs. its nothing like you would expext. very comfortable yet very controllable & stable. then when you nail it it rises nicely! cant beat it IMO..........lastly, i truthfully cant tell the difference between this setup i just mentioned from my eibach prokit lowering springs & tokico struts w/ swaybar removed(removed w/ both setups).......would recomend it to anyone, regardless of rim/tire size..........

-justin

what company did you go through justin?

you think they'll clear the snypers?
    90 strawberry coupe

i have the UPR coilovers with QA-1 front drag springs. yes, they'll clear the snypers no problem.......im curious where you think you'll have clearance problems? you can slam the fenders lower than the tire top or raise them higher than stock if wanted.......if you mean clearance as far as the width of the rim/tire......no prob, you can set it where you want to clear all possible rubbing. the snypers due to size & offset will cause no clearance issues what-so-ever.........what tire sizes did you decide on?

-justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

justin I guess since it's all they have in stock it'll be 17x8's all the way around, with 245's in the front the 275's out back if those arn't too big for the wheel.

IM me if you want nobnard7
    90 strawberry coupe

Brandon, there's several dealers for the ROH wheels. If you haven't purchased any wheels yet I recomend checking it out. Group a wheels & another listed in the mustang mags, can't think of the co. Offhand. The 8" front & 9" rear combo really sets the mustang off. The different widths & offsets really give the wheels their reputation, on top of other things of course..........either way, you'll enjoy 'em. Yes, 275's will fit the 8" rim & help take up some fender well room due to the lack of offset withe 8" rim in the rear..........
    -justin

hmmm, I think it's hpm! I'll have to call em.

I can get all 17x8's shipped to me for 700! from group a. They don't have any 9's currently.

How will all this fit with sn95 length axels? I cant find any ranger axels, so I'll have to get some sn95's until I can afford a set of mosers. What about my 5.5" backspacing 8" pro stars with 26x11.5 et streets? how will they fit with the sn95's?

thanks
    90 strawberry coupe

ttt for justin and an update.

I'm selling my ponies for 500 bones to a guy in gainsville texas which is on my way to dallas. Then driving to dallas, and picking up a set of prostars for 600 bucks with brand new fronts, and et streets. He's throwing in a set of rotors for the front, then I'm buying a set of sn95 axles for 60 bucks, and just need to get drums. Then the snypers are coming for christmas.

Just need to find the place with the best price now.
    90 strawberry coupe

you sure sn95 axles will fit in a fox body?
    ive never heard/seen anyone do it before
    j/w
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/index.html

according to matt's site, yes they will fit fine. Just .75" wider each. It'll only be temporary clint.

:)
    90 strawberry coupe

brandon, i think fomoco1's right. the only way you can use the sn95 axles is if you also buy the rear disc brakes as well, along with all the brackets for mounting. if you think about it theres really no way to use longer axles & expect the drum to not sit .75" out away from the brake shoes! i was going to do the rear sn95 axles & disc brakes for the wider rear when i was running 8" wheels at all 4 corners, but then i realized there was more work than i was willing to do such as rear brake line modifications, backets, fabbed emergency brake setup, etc. also the fact that i was minimizing my wheel selection in the future. most offsets offered for the sn95 cars favor the heavy rear offsets since the sn95 body is much wider in the rear to allow better fender clearace. these same wheels would cause rubbing issues on our fox body stang. .......just to note: i would have to say that you will need severe fender clearancing(rolling) to get the 275's to fit in there after the 1.5" offset added from the longer axles/disc brakes!....truthfully, the sn95 axles setup would be great with your size rims your buying but with all tires being the same width/size. 1.5" total width gain is a heck of alot. much more than the added offset offered with the 9" wheels from ROH!........also remember, your risking any future wheel upgrades you may want in the future with the wider rear. you need to refigure your backspacing(if applicable) in every rear wheel you may choose!........i recommend researching it a bit more before getting this set in stone brandon. good luck, let me know what you decide on. ill help in any way if i can.........
    -justin

here, this is directly from matts website. a list of needed parts if your going to go with the sn95 rear conversion!
    "If you are going to get all the parts, here is what you will need:
    axles
    calipers - complete with pads, banjo bolts, mounting bolts, and brake line
    brake lines. This includes the soft lines with the axle mount and the hard lines. If you are buying new, get the 94-95 units
    rotors
    caliper bracket -- these are specific. so if you are going to use the Cobra rotors, you need the Cobra bracket. V6/GT rotors, get the V6/GT brackets.
    antimoan bracket
    caliper bracket to axle bolts and nuts.
    optional -- ABS sensors and wires if you are going to run ABS.
    For the E-brake cables, the 87-92 cars will use the (2) FMS M-2809-A cables. The 93 model year cars will use the 93 Cobra cables (F3ZZ-2A635-A). You will also need an adjustable center cable (FMS M2810A)"

heres another list located on tha same page:

"Rear w/sn95 GT/V6 disc (sn95 (94-98) track; .75"wider per side):
    94-98 Mustang axles (2)
    94+ GT/V6 10.5" solid rear rotors (2)
    sn95 calipers from 94-98 v6/gt/cobra (2)
    soft brake lines (2)
    pads for 94+ GT/V6 (1 set)
    94-98 GT/V6 axle brackets (2)
    FMS M2809A ebrake cables for 87-92 car (2) - or 93 Cobra cables for 1993 cars (2) F3ZZ-2A635-A
    FMS M2810A center ebrake cable (1)
    adapter from softline to hard lines (2)"

just wanted to add this brandon. it is true. unless yor planning to but ALL these items to the conversion you may want to reconsider your conversion style! dont forget that you'll also need a new MC to allow the brakes to have enough pedal as well as needing a new proportionaing valve & brake bias control.........

-justin
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Justin, thanks a ton. I got to thinking about it last night, and realized it wouldn't work. So now I'm back to plan A, find some damn ranger axels. I may just bite the bullet and buy some mosers.

I do plan to upgrade to disks down the road, but it will be with a fox rear axel, and north cobra brackets. :)

Thanks again guys.

Cars on jack stands with 8 inches of snow on it now.
    90 strawberry coupe

glad to hear you reconsidered. not that its a bad upgrade, i just thought you may not have realized the full conversion needs of that style........remember to get the axles from the older rangers with 10" drums not 11" drums. if you do this you can get the drums from the same vehicle. just remeber you can only use one axle from the older rangers/aerostars. you need the longer of the 2 axles. if i remember correctly its the drivers side, but you an always hold them side by side to compare lenghth! or look at the rearend, its offset to one side slightly letting you know wich axle would be longer. goodluck, keep us posted......

-justin
    -justin