Thread: Headgaskets...

Senior SCH Member

Headgaskets...

What kind of headgasket do you guys like to use for your blown app?

I have always liked ROL personally.

Also I have heard mixed views about using a Solid copper head gasket, due to that fact that a regular headgasket is like a failsafe, if it blows you will know and will have a "chance" to remedy the problem and fix it most of the time before catastrophic engine faliure occurs, versus a copper one will likey hold up and not blow as easy as a regular styled headgasket, but may allow severe engine damage to occur more so than a regular styled headgasket. Thus timing is a key in such a situation of engine faliure and a regular headgasket that is likely to blow under heavy/unstable engine conditions is favorable to the extent to let you know that "HEY....!!! Something wrong just happened, FIX ME DAMNIT!!!"

Please note this is just info I have gathered up, it might be totally untrue or might be true, that is why I started up a thread about this to hear opinions from other peeps with similar setups and such that can contribute information and knowledge! :D
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Junior SCH Member
    I'm using a SCE products graphite gskt. I got it from D.S.S. when I bought my rotating assy. It's 0.60 thick, I needed it thicker to lower the comp a bit. BTW I think the stock thickness is 0.35.
    95 Zero option GTS. D.S.S 8.8-1 Bullet 306,S-Trim, Power Pipe, 6037's, TFS 2 cam, Perf RPM U/L, 70mm T/B, 80mm MAF, 42's, BBK L/T's.

SCH Member
    My first motor I used stock replacement gaskets 8548 pt2 (something like that) and run 14psi of boost and never blew the gasket. I put a whole in the piston and the gasket was still fine.

On the new motor I used felpro 9333 pt1. I'm only making 6psi now but I hope they will hold up fine.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

I use Fel-pro's. They work great for me. I have my AFR-185's O-ringed so the stock gaskets work awesome. I had major probs. before blowing head gaskets, three in one summer.
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

I run the good ol Carquest head gaskets. And I'm still using the same ones after first using nitrous and then going to a blower and taking all 10-12#. Next motor will be o-ringed.
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Hmmm

This is one of those questions that I thought long and hard on before I made up my mind on what I was going to use. Then I decided that I want total seal. So, I went with SCE copper head gaskets, had the block receiver grooved and the heads o-ringed.

With my Kenne Bell I ran o-ringed heads (and good gas at all times) and had no problem. With this combination I will run good gas at all times, plus I do run with a knock guard, which will retard timing if it picks up detonation.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)