Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Paxton FMU re-calibration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paxton FMU re-calibration

Paxton FMU re-calibration

I'll soon have a Novi 2000 in my posession and had a question regarding the FMU. The kit comes with a 14:1 FMU which is incorrect for the 30lb injectors I have. Paxton doesn't list re-calibration kits on their site and I've yet to see one. My question is do the Vortech calibration kits work with the Paxton FMU's. I was hoping they were virtually the same and since they are now under the same ownership I figured that would be the case so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. If not do they offer optional FMU's when you buy the kit because if thats the case maybe I should call Muscle Motors before it ships to get the correct one.

Hey,

Call Jack, he should have the calibration kits at his shop. He helped out a NOVI 1000 guy that had larger injectors. I am sure he will be able to lower the ratio for you.

Let us know what happens :)

Ian

I'll give Jack a shout when I get home from work and let you know what happens. Thanks Ian!:)

SCH Member
    personaly i would get rid of the fmu, if you plan on making less than 450rwhp.but to each his own.good luck

That's what he recommended as well and to be honest I was leaning in that direction. He also feels I should step up my injector size and run a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator like an Aeromotive. I bought a Kirban billet unit a little while ago but he doesn't recall them being boost sensitive but I've read otherwise and it was one of the reasons I purchased it. I don't think Jack would try to steer me wrong but I'm a little stumped about that one now

SCH Member
    im running 42lbs injectors, at the time i was thinking they where to big, now i whant 50lbs injectors. i would step up injector size for future upgrades.

After speaking with Jack I'm going to upgrade the fuel pump to a 255 Walbro High Pressure pump to replace the 190 that came in my kit( didn't know about these 'til now as most people run the regular 255 which puts out 60lbs and the high pressure puts out 90) I also decided to stick with my 30lb'ers for the time being and also use an FMU calibrated for 30lb ( it was pretty inexpensive to step up) I'll also run my Kirban fuel pressure regulator ( I spoke with the tech guy there and he assured me it's boost sensitive)I'll see how it goes in the spring when I get the blower on the car. Down the road I'll probably end up stepping up the injectors and ditching the FMU and do a tune it with my Crane Interceptor to get it optimized.

Great to hear. I have the GSS340 in my car for now..a new system is coming :) The pump supports lots of HP, and is very quiet. I am sure Jack gave you a raging deal on one!

Ian

I won't quote numbers to be fair to Jack but I will say he's been good to me for a guy that only knows me via e-mail and the phone. I know my Ford stuff pretty good and I knew about Walbro 255lph pumps but i didn't know a high pressure version was available til he pointed it out to me and they only cost a little more than the version most people are familiar with. he also had some good ideas about not using the FMU but I told him that stuff would have to wait with Xmas coming and all, so the FMU and 30lb injectors will have to suffice for the initial get go. I plan on sticking to the stock boost level of my kit considering my stock short block so I'm pretty sure I'll be safe with that setup. I know it's not the optimum setup but it definately won't suck either. All good things come to those who exercise patience. Should be fun when it's done. I go to a lot of cruise nights and such in my area and I have yet to see a Mustang with a Novi 2000 let alone a T-Bird!
    :D

Great stuff!

When your car is done, I would keep the hood closed so you can surprise a few guys on the street :)

Ian

That's the plan. Let 'em learn the hard way! I used to be a Vortech fan and still feel they make a very good product, but I know Novi's are better and thats why I bought one. I feel they are better down low in the across the whole rpm range and just plain can't be touched for boost upgrades down the road if the owner desires. I love that gear noise the old Vortech V-1's make as it lets everyone know you've got something going on under the hood, but it's also a drawback as everyone wants to race you. I've been a Novi fan since they came out and have always wanted to do a 5.0 swap on my Bird and install one and now I finally have the means to do it and do it right. What do the Novi's sound like anyway? I've never heard one in person. I've read they have a slight whistle at idle and a tiny bit of gear noise.

You can download video clips of my 1K here:

http://www.stangpower.com/photopost/...at=509&thumb=1

I do not have any videos of 2K's but I have been told they are fairly loud.

Ian

Sounds great!! What kind of cam is Chuck running in there, sounds pretty heavy! Nice vids. Good job the both of you! I'm sure you're proud, 'cause I would be.
    :)

Originally posted by 88cobra
    You can download video clips of my 1K here:

http://www.stangpower.com/photopost/...at=509&thumb=1

I do not have any videos of 2K's but I have been told they are fairly loud.

Ian
    I just found out Hustler has some video clips on his site of his Novi 2000 running on his Saleen. It sounds fairly loud!:D

You can check his sight here: http://home.pacbell.net/lebeter/

Great movies! Man is that big NOVI loud.

Ian